No more chairs in classrooms....pilattes balls for kids instead?

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Talk about a teacher's dream: No more slouching, no more wiggly little boys and no more snoozing at desks.

All teachers have to do is ditch the classroom chair. A growing number are replacing them with exercise stability balls more associated with pilates classes than schoolroom lectures as an innovative way to improve student posture and attention

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,502767,00.html

So instead of using chairs they are sitting on these exercise balls. I can see where this get wiggles out but if I was a teacher a roomfull of kids bouncing up and down would drive me nutty! And as a mom I am worried about their attention being on the work or on playing on the ball! What do you think? Good idea?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's all fun and games until the first kid horsing around falls over and bruises something and Mommy sues.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:45 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I have seen classrooms like this and it works! The teacher though did have chairs for the students who preferred a chair or got tired of the balls.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would worry more about the liability. What if a child with bad balance falls and busts their head? Who pays for that? Is that a claim that the school pays for since they don't provide them with an actual chair? It leaves too much room for litigation. Do they make balls with backrests?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Oh now back up chairs is good. I hadn't thought of that. But I think NP might have a point too. People are SO sue happy these days!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• NotPanicking- I don't think that would happen because think of all the kids who lean back in their chairs at school. I have seen several who have bumped and bruised their head to some who had to be taken to the hospital. Not once have I heard a mom suing over that.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I rarely agree with the first poster, but yeah I can see parents who will get a little vocal about not liking the ball. It is a good idea to have something other than chairs but balls are not necessarily the only answer. For instance I know of a school that has no chairs of any kind. It is sit on the floor, or lie down on the floor, stand at a work table, or grab one of the few chairs that is in the closet. This way children choose for themselves what is most comfortable. In this school, since the time they have been doing this, they have had no children who have been diagnosed with ADHD, no behavior issues at all, and their grades and national tests scores are higher than the national average grade for grade level.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Times are tough. People are more litigious now than ever. Just wait until someone's parents lose their job and see what happens. Backup chairs are good, but leaving it up to the child to decide to sit in a chair is like asking them what is best for them. They don't know and can't possibly predict or calculate the consequences of their actions. Even our older teenagers are ill prepared to enter the world with all of the decisions they will have to make. Let alone letting a gradeschooler decide what's best for them. Do you think they will pick the practical choice, or the one that looks like fun?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Because a kid leaning back and tipping over is obviously at fault. However, a kid sitting on a ball and falling off - it's a lot harder to prove it's the kid's fault and not the "neglegence" of the school to provide a stable sitting surface.

Some schools have banned running at recess due to the risk of liability, and dodgeball, and tag, and flag football. I'm surprised they don't just throw them each in an individual moon walk and wheel them around school like bubble boys.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I agree with NotPanicking.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• NotPanicking hit the nail on the head!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2009