Puss pockets in throat and negative strep test...what could it be?

My son (3 yrs old) and I went to the Dr. on wed. for Puss pockets in the throat, I had a fever of 101 and my whole body ached like I had the flu. The Dr swabbed for strep throat, when she swabbed me the hard ball of puss broke loose and I coughed it up(SO GROSS!). Anyway, she put me on penicillin. My son saw a different Dr. who also did a strep test, and was put on amoxacillin. I started feeling better the next day(no more puss in throat) and my son wasn't coughing near as much(still has puss in the throat). I found out yesterday that the strep tests both came back negative! And this morning(5 days through the penicillin) I wake up and find that my ball of puss(sorry I know it's gross) is coming back! What could it be other than strep throat? I am getting on a plane from Hawaii to TX in less than 24 hours...I need this mess to be taken care of and it's Sunday, the Dr is closed! Any suggestions? Thanks!

meegan26

Asked by meegan26 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• Oh dear! I am sorry that this is happening when you are planning your vacation. Is there an urgent care center you could go to? Does your doctor have an after hours number? Failing these, you may want to go to the ER, not that it is an emergency but that you need care now. You are still taking the antibiotics, right? They should work for more than just strep. If you are still taking them, it might take the full 10 days for them to work, so there is that. Good luck. Would you please let us know how things work out? And have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

Answer by Bmat at 11:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It sounds like tonsilitis. You can help get rid of the pus pockets by swabbing them with hydrogen peroxide. Do NOT swallow it! I get these and my physician has me go through this routine and within a week they usually go away. Be sure and finish all your medication even if you start feeling better. By stopping too early you could mutate the infection.
    ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 1:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You can also ask the doctor for a stronger antibiotic. Penicillin and amoxicillin are too weak for me and my doc put me on something called Z-max (zythromyacin, I think) which is 3 days of really really strong antibiotics for when I got frequent throat infections that were also not strep.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Tonsillitis. I would think twice about getting on a plane sick like that. You could damage your eardrums if you are congested. Please consult your doctor on that.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my cousin had the same thing a couple years ago when they lived with us. only his would go away with antibiotics and come ack a week or so later. it was tonsillitus and he had to get his tonsils removed. hasn't has any problems since.
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• watch those closely with negative strep test results...my daughter has some gene or something like that, that PREVENTS her from testing positive. don't get me wrong, she does get sore throats and it's not strep. after a while u AND your child will be able to tell the difference. try to stay with the same doctor if you can. they will get to know your child and eventually will learn that they ALWAYS test negative, even with a blood test. good luck
    whitedove1968

Answer by whitedove1968 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2009