How about this for a catch-phrase?

"Faith is not a virtue"

Remember the other day when I was asking about how to let people know I'm an atheist without explicitly telling them so? And I said we need to come up with some kind of atheist catch-phrase, that we can use in the same way that others use "God Bless You". What do you think about the above? It makes a point, without being overly offensive. I think I might try it out for a few days, and see how things go. Anyone else able to come up with anything usable?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 12:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• But it is true- faith isn't a virtue... yesterday I did something for my supervisor and he THANKED GOD and then as an afterthought- thanked me!! That is the sort of thing that occurs all the time and irritates us... faith to me is an excuse for not thinking things through for yourself... just have faith!! No thanks... I kinda like the phrase!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You're going to say that when someone sneezes? lol. I'd have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

The phrase "God bless you" isn't all that religious; it's more commical if you ask me. Back in Medieval times, it was believed that the soul was released from the body when somebody sneezed. They said "God bless you" to force the soul back in and keep any evil spirits from jumping in and taking over while the body was without a soul lol.

If you want to let people know you're an athiest without explaining it, I don't think that catch phrase is going to help. You'll end up having to explain what the catch phrase is, why you said it, why you choose to say it instead of something else and that you said it because you're an athiest. Sounds like 10 times as much work to me IMHO :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• God bless you! Sorry I couldn't resist. I just don't agree with you, but to each her own. Have a great day!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I didn't say anything about when people sneeze, did I? No, I don't think so. I just meant in general. I don't know where you're from, but people say "God Bless You", and "Jesus Loves you" all the time around here. They say it when they say thank you, or in place of have a nice day, or good bye and god bless you. I was thinking about using it more as a response in those instances, not when people sneeze.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Why is it important to let people know you're an Atheist? It's not like Christians introduce themselves, "Hello, my name is Jane. Andy by the way I'm a Christian." lol. I guess you could say "Big Bang Theory bless you."
    Anonymous

• Well, most Christians make it very well known that they are Christian by saying God Bless you and that sort of thing just as OP described. She wants to make sure that other ppl know that she doesnt necessarily agree with whatever God blessing they are bestowing upon her (...am i right?) without being overally offensive. She just wants to make a point; not everyone out there wants to hear God Bless you all the time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Faith is not a virtue sounds snarky - I think you'll make more people defensive than anything.

Why don't you just get one of these?

Granted, you'd have to explain it to most people, but it's probably a better conversation starter than demeaning someone's faith.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• In that case she could say "If there were a God, I'm sure he would."
    Anonymous

• I do agree with the OP. When people ask me to pray for this or to pray for that, I always respond by saying "You will be in my thoughts" or " I hope the best for you" and when they inevitably say "God bless you" I just say thank you. I may not agree with their belief system, but it isn't worth it to me to keep reminding them over and over...yes, even though they remind me over and over about theirs. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

lol, that would be a good one for Agnostics, but we aren't on the fence.. to us, there is no God, and we don't question it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2009