Mumps?

A note was sent home with my son from school the other day that says that a child in his ECDD class (which is all of about 10 kids) has an unconfirmed case of Mumps. My son got his MMR immunizations, which I believe is measels, mumps and rubella, isnt it? If he got his immunizations can he still get Mumps? I havent really done any research, obviously. lol. But any input would be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Vaccinations are not a guarantee, but a strong precaution.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yes, your child can still get the mumps even if they had the MMR shot. Vaccines aren't 100% effective and do wear off over time. But not to worry, mumps isn't the life threatening disease everyone makes it out to be. :) Easily treated and offers natural, life-long immunity and the child won't be needing to get toxic boosters for the rest of their lives. Woo-hoo!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yep - what they said!
    This is why the "herd immunity" is so important. Not all kids can get shots for medical reasons and not all kids who get the shots are immune. If you are concerned, a simple blood test can tell if your child is immune or not.
    While mumps is rarely life threatening, it can cause sterility in males.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• If he had the vaccine he is probably safe. But not 100%. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. There isn't anything more you can do about it except wait.. and they should be able to tell you more if it is or isn't mumps. But it takes several days for blood tests to come back on a suspected case.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2009