If you start birth control on a random day will your cycles eventually even out?

my husband is coming home from deployment in about 2.5 months. i am supposed to start "sunday start" with my bc pills today. i have counted ahead and i see that i will be on my period when he comes home. yes, it's silly but you understand the need to not want to be on your period when your husband comes home if you've ever dealt with deployment. anyway if i start the pills two weeks from now (mid cycle) will my period be delayed and then be in sync with the pills? he isn't due home until may so i have time if it will take 1-2 cycles to even out...

pinkbubbles79

Asked by pinkbubbles79 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• It depends upon the pills. If they are a monophasic pill then yes, it will typically throw off your period. If they are triphasic pills then it CAN throw off your period or delay your period. The easiest way to determine if they are mono or triphasic pill is to look at the color. If they are triphasic then they are usually different colors for each phase. If they are monophasic you will have the active pills (one color) and the placebo/inactive pills in another color. Hope this helps some.
    SusanD

Answer by SusanD at 2:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• excellent answer susand. Not only answered but we learned something too. I like that and it wasn't even my question!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Also, I just wanted to add to my previous answer (sorry I was feeding children and typing that at the same time) that with monophasic pills there is less risk of breakthrough bleeding and less risk of starting your period all together. With triphasic pills there is a greater chance of breakthrough bleeding, greater chance of it failing and starting your period or it just delaying your period.

Also, with the monophasic pills IF you happen to fall to a point where you would normally be taking the placebo/inactive pills during his R&R then skip those pills and start taking your active pills immediately. I know that sometimes the guys are delayed by as much as 5 days getting home and that can make a big difference if you have altered your cycle by a couple of weeks to avoid having your period while he is home. Not to mention there is nothing worse than starting your period a couple of days before he goes back.
    SusanD

Answer by SusanD at 3:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• oh no, no r&r this is homecoming =D and unfortunately during r&r i did start a few days before he went back. we had also been trying to get pregnant while he was home so it double sucked! lol
    pinkbubbles79

Answer by pinkbubbles79 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009