6 years old and still wetting the bed?

My step son was fully potty trained at 3 1/2 years old. He didnt have any accidents at night nothing. When he was 5 his bio-mom had a baby. Since then he wets the bedevery night. I have tried to talk to him about it. We tried not giving him liquids after 7pm, tried waking him in the middle of the night. Nothing seems to work.
It is getting worse now. It used to be just a little bit, now he is soaking through the pull up boxers that we got. His mom seems to think it is no big deal but I am tried of cleaning up his messes. He is now 6 1/2. Does anyoe now what to do??? I cant do this anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call his pedi
    Anonymous

• It's called secondary wetting. It happens when there is an upset in the child's life. The baby perhaps? In any case, the best thing you can do is stay calm and ignore it. give him more attention and offer to talk with him about what is bothering him. If he lives with you he may feel unwanted since she has had the new baby.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would talk to his pedi and see if he may need some type counseling to work through his problems to get over this issue. But remember some kids due wet at night until they are about 9 or 10 even if they were completely night trained by a certain age.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My daughter to. It was ascarida worms. Maybe other differend.
    marina120

Answer by marina120 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• MomShawn is right. It's very common.
    I'd talk to his pediatrician to make sure there are no physical problems (coincidences do happen).
    If there are no physical problems then:
    Don't make a fuss over it.
    Make sure he knows it is common.
    Remember that talking to him won't help - if your husband snores and you have a long discussion about how disruptive it is and how he shouldn't do it anymore, do you think he'll stop snoring? Of course not. It happens while he is asleep and is not under his control.
    Instead of waking him before you go to bed, try waking him around 2am for 3 days in a row. If he's dry every night at that time, switch to 2:30. If he's wet at 2am, switch to 1:30. Keep doing that until you find the time he is usually wet. Then wake him half hour before that until he starts waking himself. That may be days or years.
    OR
    Try a bedwetting alarm. These are very successful though it can take months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Get plastic sheets for under the regular ones and be prepared to wash his sheets daily. it happens, it is normal.they are called accidents for a reason, don't even say anything about it to him because it will just make him feel worse about something he can't control. in time it will go away. Be patient, his mom is right, it is not a big deal.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 5:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• there is meds the dr can give
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2009