Torn. Suggestions? Opinions? *Help please, Important*

Im in Jersey. We are under a winter storm warning from 4pm today til I think 6pm 2morro. Now for those of you who know Jersey, we never really get much snow, even when they say we will. But they're making a pretty big deal out of this one. Should I go out and buy stuff? Like canned foods and batteries? I dont really want to waste money on canned food because we dont rly even eat canned foods. But idk, I dont want to be stuck in the house with nothing for us to eat. What kind of foods are you supposed to buy in this situation? I know canned, but like what? Because what if we cant cook due to power outages? AHH! Someone tell me what to do! lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You don't have to "stock" up but you should make sure you have plenty of food and some batteries and flash lights.

Anonymous

• lol...you really must not get much snow. I think we've been under a winter storm warning a million times this winter and the most I've ever done was plan to stay inside for a day or two...and that's just because I know I hate shoveling my car out.

You'll be fine. I doubt you'll lose power, and if you've got a days worth of food in the house, you wont starve.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• If you rely on electricity to get water- like with most wells- then stock up some jugs- use old milk containers, etc. You can force flush the toilet, wash hands etc. Candles and batteries are handy- candles only in safe areas. Foods should be non perishable so you don't have to open your fridge and spoil what is in there. Crackers, pb&j, fruit, jerky, tuna... we have a wood stove and so cook on it when we have a power outage. Don't cook in your house with a campstove unless VERY well ventilated. Carbon monoxide can kill. You should be fine.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I live in FL and we get power outages due to hurricanes. We store things like peanut butter and crackers and lots of water. You could get snack bars, dried cereal (I love eating cheerios out of the box). You can buy nuts and cookies. The kids might climb the walls with the sugar in them but it gives them energy which converts to heat so you can stay warm in case the power goes out. I'd also go to the sports dept of a place like walmart and buy those moon wraps for 99 cents. They look like a flexible piece of BIG aluminum foil but they are blankets to keep warm in. They fold up to fit in your pocket. Maybe you already have sleeping bags though. Just try to make it fun like a camping trip without electricity. I even bought a battery powered lantern. I camp out in my living room floor. I have a blow up mattress and a battery powered tv. I know they will turn on the electricity asap. Just stock up big time on water.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2009