speech therapy and an 18 month old..

I was just wondering what to expect. DD has been referred to a speech therapist and I can't seem to find any information about what to expect. Has anyone else's LO seen a speech therapist?

ZaTa

Asked by ZaTa at 1:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes my dd started speech therapy at 18 months. They use play to encourage children to talk. But first they will probalby get a history from you and evaluate your child about how much language they are using.

Sometimes working with a therapist can frusterate a young child learnning to speak. But they are pushing the child to work on areas that do not come easily for them.

They will also teach YOU strategies for working with you child. So listen and watch and do what they do at home as much as possible. They can only do so much in a short period of time and its up to you to fill in the huge gaps.

Read and have as much conversation with your child as you can manage. These two things will help more than anything. Point out things in picture books and name them for you child. Point out signs and things in stores.

When I worked with my dd I would sit in a chir and turn her around to face me, then I would

cont.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my son is in speech therapy. he started getting therapy when he was about 6 months old because he has a condition that makes him developmentally delayed. he is finally caught up with kids his age so all he is in is speech therapy. basically its like they play while they are being taught. its alot of fun and my son loves it. it has really helped him. feel free to message me and i would be happy to answer any questions you may have. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• cont.

I would place her hand on my mouth and cheek and would say words so she could see my mouth move and feel the movement and vibrations.

Just some suggestions. good Luck!!! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My 21 month old son was born with a real minor submucos cleft palate that was just fixed this past January. With his submucous cleft palate, it made his speech delayed for his age. We've been working with 2 speech teachers from the local public school. I agree with mom2twobabes that the therapists can be frustrating not for just the child but for me as well. I'm not expecting any miracles right away with my son. I had a speech problem when I was a kid which took me a couple years to overcome. My husband and I do work with our son with words. It just takes time.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009