Does anyone here have a child with selective mutism?

I am told my son is apsperger/selective mute, but I am having great deal more difficulties with the not speaking/ moving/ zero reaction in public and/or at home when we have company. Sometimes he shuts down completely, so do I leave him alone or do I sit down and try to find out what set it off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had it when I was a child. I was unable to speak to any adults other than my parents. When I was in kindergarten, my teacher needed to have me tell my friend the answers to questions so that she could find out if I was learning. I would not speak to my grandparents, aunts, uncles anyone other than my friends who were my age or my parents. I remember it well. I remember my family trying to pressure me to speak. I wanted to but I just couldn't. Nothing set it off. I was just unable to even look adults in the eye. I would just look down. I remember it just felt so intense and scary. When I grew up I found out there was a name for it. At the time, it was just a paralyses I had no control over. I began growing out of it in second grade. Much to my parents' surprise, I became rathr outgoing as a teen. But I still have an intense fear of public speaking.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My dd has autistic tentandies and sometimes seems to not be able to find the words she wants to use. she kind of stutters. like: mom, mom, mom, i, mom, i, mom, I want juice.

I am sure he has therapists right? If so ask them what is the best thing to do. My guess would be to ask but not to pressure. Pressure can frusterate them and send them into another meltdown.

They shut down b/c of the over stimulation, too much going on around them and its like sensory overload. I would try to keep him in calm situations. I know thats not always possible but prepare for shut down mode when you are around a noisy active environment.

And also dont worry about what others think of his shut down mode. He is just doing what he needs to do to make it through the situation.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Thank You
    Anonymous