Will you have to show your Obama voter I.D. card when buying a cell phone?

February 28, 2009
Obama's Creative Stealth Taxation
Douglas Lang
One of the more creative ways in which Americans are proposed to pay for the government's lavish spending habits has been revealed by Reuters. The proposed "Spectrum user license fee" on p132 of President Obama's budget would see cellular phone operators paying an annual levy for using certain bands of radio wavelength; despite operators already spending billions at FCC auctions for access to these frequencies. The fees will start at $50million for 2009, rising progressively to $550million per annum in 2013.

This license fee will naturally be passed on to the operator's customers should the budget be passed and in effect creating a stealth taxation of each citizen for their use of radio airwaves - an entity which is organically property of every American citizen.

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Can you please explain to me why people can't think for themselves? I want to know that. You watch one show, you read one article, you listen to one speech, and for some unknown reason this is gospel. I don't get it. Evidently cell phones are now somehow harming the environment.

And of course the Americans are the devil and the world turned its back on us. You know what? I don't care what some hippie in another country thinks about us- she doesn't know any of us. It's our money and our futures we are talking about here.

Save the planet. Please, be responsible. But don't try to sell me on some sugar that the socialist agenda being rammed down our throats is "GREEN."

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Because of course, Obama only lied to conservatives, NOT the ones who still believe in him AFTER they voted for him.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Do cell phones run on radio waves??
    If so it just sounds like another green tax and makes sense.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• OMG..we are NOTHING to this planet. Have you never been through a natural disaster.. I have ridden out my share of hurricanes and I can tell you we are VERY insignificant when it comes to the forces this earth is able to create! We do NOT need to be taxed MORE for this green BS!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Don't like it? Find another planet.
    I can't believe how little respect for the environment Americans have. Is it really too much to ask you to green up your lives a little bit and stop polluting the crap out of the planet?? You're obviously not going to do it on your own, and like children you need the government to be your mommies and do it for you.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I do things ON MY OWN to lessen the garbage that I and my family produce. I do things ON MY OWN to lessen the amount of bad substances I am emitting. If not for the health of the planet but for the health of my kids.

HOWEVER I also recognize what I said before.  We are NOTHING to this planet in the long run.  Talk to a geologist ( I have) and they will tell you.  Many many scientists out there will tell you.

I DO NOT think I should be taxed more because of a belief that is perpetuated by hollywood idiots and folks out their looking for a new way to make a buck.  Because I assure you the bottom line here is MONEY not the environment!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You know, I'm as annoyed by taxes as the next person.. But unlike the majority of society, I am doing what I can to reduce my carbon footprint. I don't like the price of gas, so I don't drive very often. I don't like the cost of food, so I grow what I can. Hey, even if I only get a three month growing season in my garden, at least that's three months of savings at the grocery store.
    I don't want a high cell phone bill, so I have a minimum plan for my needs and make every attempt not to go over it (which is actually pretty easy.)
    The tax you're looking at here is like a dollar per cell phone per year. Boo hoo.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• If you want Manifest Destiny to prevail, and being American, of course you do, then it's going to take money to do it.
    Of course we're nothing in this world, but us "nothings" are destroying the planet very quickly. You're a fool if you don't believe that global warming is real.
    If a few extra tax dollars go towards planting a few more trees, and greening up the crap we're using to pollute this world, then I'm on board. Do I like it? Of course not. But I understand the need for it, and will do my part to make this earth greener. It's about damned time.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• The impact of this tax hike will be one of inflation. Sadly, many people don't look at it this way. It's nice to think that a little tax here and a little tax there won't hurt anyone. Unfortunately, it hurts us all in the form of inflation. Before you decide that things are A-O-K with a new tax, think about the big picture and the effects it will have on the population as a whole. Not just yourself.

Oh, and congrats on your garden.  Many people don't know how to grow their own stuff.  (I mean that seriously)

Anonymous

• If I am a fool I am in good company!

There have been three famous petitions by scientists trying to tell the world that the media’s portrayal of Global Warming is false. These three are the Heidelberg Appeal in 1992 from Germany with 4000 signatures, the Leipzig Declaration in 1996, from Germany again with 110 signatures and the Oregon Petition Project from California, USA with 17,000 signatures from concerned scientists from around the world.2

http://globalwarminginperspective.wordpress.com/global-warming-myth-vs-reality/

And yes honey, in current economic times EVERY dollar matters! Especially if I am not deciding where mine goes!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2009