i was soooo close....

ok so i posted a question earlier about potty training my 2 year old son. i got some very helpful advice (thanks moms). anyway-i notice andy sitting near his potty and showing interest in it so i decided to put him on it to see if he would go. i have also been told once that if you want to encourage a boy to go then give them sips of water, pour water down his back, etc. so i did all of these things. finally after about 10 minutes, he seemed like he wanted to get up and i let him. i was told not to push potty training too. anyway before i had a chance to rediaper him, he ran to his room and when i walked in to get him-I FOUND A PUDDLE!! Yes he peed in his floor. my question is- do you think i should have made him sit on the potty even though he wanted to get up? did i "give in" too easily? lol thanks again moms

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i am beginning to do the same.... i say don't force it... it may make him not want to get on at all...it takes time and patience...he's trying to learn what it is... i say just keep doing what your doing... i try to run water...cuz i know everything i hear running water it makes me have to go....lol
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• No you didn't give in it sounds like he was just holding it for his floor lol. I had alot of problems getting my son potty trained and my sister took him for a night when she brought him back he was potty trained. She said that she would let him go outside on a tree and he thought it was the coolest thing ever, then she would brib him into going inside with her 3 boys and he would. When he came home I started doing stickers and small toys from the dollar store everytime he went he got something and everytime he had an accident i would take something out! Good Luck!!!
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Have you considered graduating to "big boy pants" rather than diapers, at least during the day? I always figured wet pants were way more uncomfortable than a diaper that wicks away the moisture. He might "get it" a bit quicker that way. My son is 12, my youngest is 6, so potty training is a distant memory (thank goodness). I never used disposable training pants, but the padded washable deals. Also, I do remember that my sister-in-law recommended floating Cheerios in a bit of water at the bottom of his potty--make a game of his trying to sink them with his urine stream. My son started training when I noticed him imitating the dog peeing in the yard . . .you never know what might work!:)
    lauratlbp06

Answer by lauratlbp06 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I agree with laura. Put him in big boy pants. ...at least for most of the day. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME ACCIDENTS. ...but he wont like them. Especially if you have him help you clean it up. Good luck Momma!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• That is actually a good sign. HE is just a beginner at this, and doesn't have perfect control over his bladder muscles. Maybe he was too tense on the potty and once he relaxed out it came. Just give it time, and remember accidents happen. He'll get it soon enough.
    kateloveslance

Answer by kateloveslance at 3:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Big boy pants are a great idea, especially if you let him pick them out with you. Sure, he peed on the floor, happens frequently. Just be sure to talk to him about how his body felt and to remember that it means time to go pee and to run to the potty.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• No you did what most moms do. Jade used to pee on the floor on purpose!!
    poudmomof2

Answer by poudmomof2 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2009