How do I stop my one year old daughter from spitting out on purpose her food and her drink?

She is not a picky eater and she does it to just about everything. Even the juices and fruit. Don't know what is going on and I don't want to deprive her of food and drink which she desperately needs.

abbyemcc

Asked by abbyemcc at 3:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she spits out her food, the meal is over. This is what I did and it seemed to work.

Answer by Bmat at 3:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• If you think she is doing it just for fun, because she can, to see what you do, or any one of hundreds of reasons - the meal is over.

Make sure you have 3 set meal times and 2 set snack times. Make sure every bite you put in front of her is healthy since she is eating so few bites. If you end a meal, that's it until the next scheduled eating time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My daughter would take a large drink ,then open her mouth and let it run all over. For some reason, she thought this was funny. I would take her drink and food away and she learned that meal time is not play time.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 4:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My son is real good about spitting his food out and also opening his mouth and letting all the juice pour out. We just ignore it and try to finish eating and if he doesn't stop, he is all done for the time being.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yep, my 15 month old does the same damn thing. It makes me so angry because she does it with everything, even things I know she loves. So when she does it thats it. No more food until its time to eat again. And if its dinner time and she does it then oh well, she can go to bed hungry. It sounds mean, I feel mean doing it, but I dont tolerate a child spitting food all over my floors or even worse me. Its a no no and she will have to relize it eventually.
    Anonymous

• I agree with all the previous responses: the meal is over when this happens. However, I would also add that she clean up the mess. If she won't pick up the food, put your hand over hers and help her clean it up. At the next meal, don't give her a plate of food. Instead, give her food from your plate bite per bite. Praise her for eating, using table manners, and not spitting/throwing food. Watch carefully for signs that she's done with the meal and let her get down from the table. After a meal or two like this, give her a plate again with just one or two bites worth of food on it.
    We went through this with one of the twins and it'll pass but consistency is key. Also, as hard as it may be sometimes, don't show her that you're upset/angry. This just adds fuel to the fire. Remain calm/neutral and then it won't be as much fun for her anymore.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2009