What to get on the first birthday?

I'm making my wishlist for my DS first birthday on Babies'R'Us and other places. I really don't know what I should get. They didn't tell me what was age appropriate. I'm using plain common since and not getting the big stuff that he might not be ready for. But thats just the thing, what is he ready for at 1 year?

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 3:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter just turned a year old last month. She got so many toys for Christmas, so I didn't want to get her more. For her birthday I got her a new car seat and clothes. Things that she really needs. Trust me it doesn't matter what you get them.
    abbyemcc

Answer by abbyemcc at 3:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• How about some summer toys? Like a riding toy, some bubbles, a water table, toys for the baby pool along with something small for now.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• At that age they play with the box longer than what came in the box so I wouldn't stress about it. Most toy stores are seperated by age appropriate toys so just browse through the isles of those to get ideas. My son got alot of soft toys, bubble machines, clothes and those stuffed animals that play music and stuff. But like I said, he played with the boxes longer than the toys. Happy early birthday to your baby!!!!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Think forward. What will he be ready for over the course of the next 8 to 12 months? You can always ration out the toys as he develops. He won't know that some of his birthday presents disappeared for a while.
    Balls
    Crayons (non-toxic if he eats them and he can't learn to scribble, draw, write until he tries)
    Finger paints
    Toy cars
    Puzzles with big pieces and big knobs on each piece
    Leap Frog Fridge Phonics
    Sand box or water table
    Baby wading pool
    A trike that you can push while he rides (the Fisher Price Rock Roll & Ride is great)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009