• In the Spotlight:

What would you do if your 14 yr. old still picks his nose and..

Well you know it's just gross and has been taught, I don't think he even realizes it when he does it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell him that girls are repulsed by that.
    If it is a habit that he needs to break, and if he wants to break it, suggest that he tell himself that if he can stop himself from doing it 30 times that the habit will be broken. So he notices that his hand is headed toward his nose, and he stops himself, then that is 1, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 3:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I forgot to add that is has to be 30 times in a row. If he misses, then he has to start over.
    You could promise him a reward for breaking himself of the habit.
    Also, when he is home, you could have him wrap adhesive tape around the offending finger and he'll notice when the adhesive tapes hits him in the nose. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 3:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I still do it and I'm 42 years old, I don't do it in public though, but when I pick them a role them into a litlle ball and drop themon the floor or wherever. It's just very satisfying to get the bigs ones or the ones way in the back out of your nose. It feels like a sence of high.
    Anonymous

• sound like he is OCD
    Anonymous

• I say leave him alone and let the "natural" consequences do their job. Natural meaning once someone at school see it, then its all over for him socially. I know thats hard as a parent to watch but luckily it blows over quickly and I promise he will either quit or deal with the social suicide of it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• take it easy sometimes there is just a booger that won't come out from simple blowing i still pick my nose i wash my hands but that is just human nature if it won't come out then go and get it
    Anonymous