Thoughts on girls 'budding' or developing early.

My coworker has an 8 yo that just went for her check up and has been taken off of cow's milk and regular yogurt. The reason given was that her chest is budding and the amount of pubic hair she already has, he is thinking that this will slow down some without the ingestion of these hormones from dairy. Has anyone else experienced this? I know that organic and soymilk is an option, but i'm feel dumb now because I've never given this much thought. I have an almost 4 yo and this has me thinking twice about the foods we give her.

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Again, ...do the research yourself. Dont let my opionions or the opionions of these other moms let you make up your mind. Try to find the positive and the negative to the changes in our foods. Read some books. Google it and check your sources. The only one who can tell you what is right for you kid is YOU. Good luck Momma!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Well, the hormones in the milk ARE a problem. Another problem is all the junk food. A long time ago any gril that started her period at the age of 10 was considered not the norm. Now it is the norm. Could it be bc of the hormones and other things found in our dairy products and other foods? Bc of the junk food? Because of the other chemicals? ...who knows. I know that DS and i are only going to drink organic milk from now on (i started buying it about a month ago). It might be worth it to you to do some research on this topic.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Some girls develop early despite what they eat, I've never heard that milk or yogurt can be a cause (then again i'm not a doctor) If this is the cause of it though chances are it's because tht 8 yr old eats more then normal for a person.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i disagree with bubblycute. ...look at history. ever sense ppl started adding all sorts of unnecessary things into our food and other areas of our life all sorts of things have started to happen. increase in cancer, increase in learning disabilities, increase in obesity, increase in early maturing. do i think that the chemicals and hormones, ect are the only cause to this problem? No. A lot of it also has to do with definition and becoming more aware. However, i do believe it is a large contributer.
    EVERYBODY's bodies are different. Not one person will have the same reaction to the same thing. If i eat a bowl of ice cream ...maybe nothing will happen. If you eat a bowel of ice cream you might gain a pound or two.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Well, they first started noticing a drop in the average puberty age when the population started eating better. Then they noticed that overweight kids develop even earlier. Do extra hormones speed it up more? Probably. But over the last 30 years, the average age for starting puberty has only dropped half a year. So if they speed it up, it's not by much. Some girls just develop faster. I started "budding" when I was 8 and that was over 30 years ago. I was also chubbier than most of my friends.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It Could Just depend on the Family genes as well. My grandmother started her cycle at 11, My mother at 9, and I Began at 10. 3 of my moms 4 sisters started at an early age as well. Now as far as My cousins, I am the only one out of 10 girls that started at an early age. I think it just depends on alot of variables and the doctor is just trying to "help" but it may or may not do any good.
    JacquiV

Answer by JacquiV at 6:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I was in my sons 5th grade classroom last month and there wasn't a girl in there that wasn't fully developed. 10 and 11 yr olds. I was in shock. I was the first in my class at age 9, and no one caught up until we were all 12 and 13. It is almost frightening. My 11 yr old son is already showing signs of puberty as well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2009