Extreme nausea?

I'm nearing 38 weeks pregnant and I feel awful today. I haven't had any morning sickness since my second trimester and today I keep getting extreme kicks of nausea that come and go. I haven't thrown up yet and almost think I'd feel much better if I did, but it just keeps coming back and in the time gaps in between the nausea spells I feel just awful too. It was so sudden and strange. Has anyone experienced this and could it possibly have something to do with labor approaching?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It can be a sign, yes. http://www.babies.sutterhealth.org/laboranddelivery/labor/

Shortly before labor, your body will do everything it can to clear things out. Usually this means diarrhea. But it can also mean nausea so you don't eat anything - an empty digestive system gives the baby that much more room.

You need to eat though. At the very least, you need sugars and fluids. Try nibbling on some candied ginger - you can find it in the spice aisle or the Asian foods section - and sipping gatorade - the blue flavor is a fairly mild lemon flavor.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• In case you are wondering - ginger has a proven track record for fighting nausea. If you try Ginger Ale instead, make sure you get one with ginger in it. The normal store brands (Canada Dry, etc) do not contain any ginger.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Its likely. I was really sick the days leading up to my labor. Try drinking ginger tea, sitting upright because the baby is pressing into your stomach because he's getting so big!, and sometimes sucking on peppermint or cloves helps. Hope you feel better and good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 4:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009