Desert conditions and eczema

I'm going to be moving to the 29 palms area in southern California which is out in the desert (ie:/ dirt, rocks, and cactus and up to 120 degree dry heat).. My son has bad eczema and I was wondering if it will get better or worse out there.. I currently live in northern Illinois where the weather is generally humid and the temp changes about everyday...

I use Eucerin Original Cream for his skin now. What should I do out there to make sure his skin is extra protected (he's 6months now and will be about a year old when we move.. I know sunscreen is a big duh lol)

Thanks :)

alinker

Asked by alinker at 3:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• Its probably going to get worse. The heat alone and dryness of the air isn't going to help!
    We live in Texas which is always hot and usually humid and my baby cousin has got serious eczema. When they went to visit my family in Nevada they said that the heat mixed with dryness was really hard on him. I sell Avon and they use the AVON BASICS Rich Moisture Face Cream
    its only 3.99 right now on the babies skin you can use it anywhere legs, arms etc (his pediatrician actually recommended it for him, he's 10 months old!) and it has helped a ton! If you want to try it you can have free shipping from my site www.youravon.com/dhullum with code fsany. Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 4:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i have eczema and unfortunately my 15 month old daughter has it too. we live in central texas where it gets seriously hot and dry during the summer. i have to use rx cream for mine but hers is under control now with the aveeno baby moisture cream for eczema. for some reason mine tends to get worse in cold weather months, and my daughter's is the same.
    pinkbubbles79

Answer by pinkbubbles79 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I live in the 'burbs of Chicago and have visited southern California many times. Heat can exacerbate eczema but you really should look at your child's diet; eczema is often due to an allergic reaction to casein or gluten. Nothing worked for my youngest until I changed her diet.
    Anonymous

• What foods have casein and/gluten in them? He's had eczema since he was born.. he only started eating cereal and fruits and veggies a month ago... other than that he is BF
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2009