HELP my baby is constipated !!!!

ok i have tryed the juice in her milk the thermometer w/ lubricant and warm baths and less formula and more milk and the 1oz juice and none of these have helped her stool doesnt come for about 2- 3 days and when it does my poor baby cryes soo bad an well i try as much as i can to help her but well its soo hars and big for her i just dont know what to do ist so frustrating cause i just want so despratly to make it better and i can t please helpme !!

nanysmommy

Asked by nanysmommy at 4:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is she? Is she on solids? If so....fiber, fiber, fiber! Green beans, broccoli, etc. every day.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Even better...liquid. If you've started solids, STOP them. Nothing but breastmilk or formula. When you go back to solids, try mashed avocado. No cereal.

Make sure baby is getting her liquid meal first, solids after.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• A few important questions for you. High iron formula? When she DOES go, is it dry, hard or pellet like? Any way of going back to EBF? Age? Anything else in her diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• have you tried prunes? If your little one is already eating solids then maybe a tsp or two of pureed prunes or if not eating solids a few sips of prune juice & water? I know this is TMI but prunes have always cleaned the babies in my family out.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Nanysmommy, could you message me with more details? How old is your baby? And what types of meal / liquid is she being fed? Constipation is usually very dry hard poops, not to be confused with the frequency of poop. My daughter used to be constipated. Her poop literally looks and feel like rocks. With the doctor recommendation, we gave her two ounces of PURE apple juice that was also watered down, and it worked within hours.
    denswife

Answer by denswife at 11:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Wow Apple juice is so harsh on their tiny digestive tracts ... try Aloe juice , karo syrup, Papaya juice, or Prune Juice ... these are all natural laxatives that don't make a baby cramp, have good nutritonal value and are easy to dilute.

Is your baby still having sopping wet diapers about 5 times a day? Is your baby's poop pellet like? If poop is still coming out normal , understand that some babies just don't like to poop.. and it's very normal for baby's to go without a bowel movement for 2-5 days.

I work in a major ER and we deal with this all the time!
    enmaynard

Answer by enmaynard at 6:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2009