Pumping Question.

My son is almost 5 weeks old. I've been successfully BF him but when I try to pump I hardly get anything. I just bought a cheap manual pump from wal-mart, could that be the problem??

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with navywife- an electric pump can make a world of difference, and the best way to successfully express is to pump one side while baby nurses on the other- that way you will letdown. If you are planning on going back to work, and want to continue breastfeeding, an electric pump is a MUST have. I have two. I have a Lansinoh Double Electric ($150) and a Medela Pump In Style ($280)....I can hardly tell the difference, although the Lansinoh is nice because it has a letdown feature....If you're not wanting to drop a ton of money, I HIGHLY recommend the Lansinoh.

Also, pumping, like anything else, takes practice. When I started, I could hardly pump anything, and now, when I turn my pump on I start having letdown- hah.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It could be, but it could be a slurry of other things. I do not respond to a pump. I have even rented the big hospital grade madela top of the line pump and I just can't pump milk. some mamas can't. HOWEVER, your baby is much better at gettingmilk out than a pump and just because nothing comes out when you pump, doesn't mean your baby isn't getting all he needs. I reccomend renting an electric pump, and nursing your baby on one side while trying to pump the other. This should help you get a let down. kellymom.com has lots of pumping tips. Good Luck!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i heard the cheap pumps do no good. try an electric one
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yes. **smile**

Best manual pump is the Avent Isis.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009