Is low self esteem considered a medical problem?

I have very low self esteem, next to none. And due to that I also suffer from shyness, depression, and anxiety. I know dr.s can treat the anxiety and depression, but I'm interested in starting at the root of the problem, my self esteem. Can a dr. help me? What would they do?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• A doctor would probably suggest therapy to get to the root of why you have low self-esteem.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Hi Kristina! I would be sure and talk to the Doc when you talk to him about the depression. Never feel embarrassed or ashamed for having depression. If its clinical, then there would be nothing you could do about it anyway, so meds can be a very good thing to help perk you up a bit. Of course, there are some things i might suggest that would help while you are in the process:
    One, try to get as much sunshine as you can. When its sunny, even cold, be sure and dress warmly and hit the streets with the kids and walk, walk, walk. Walk Briskly, which will not only excercise the body, but also release a "feel-good hormone" in the brain. The energy you get will perk you up, but the activity will also help you get rid of negative energy. The kids will love it, even if you have to make them go with you. :)
    Stay off the 'puter as much as possible. For some reason, I don't know if its the electrical charges....cont'd
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• cont....but theres so much emotional highs and lows that come from emails, online news, and drama clubs here on cafemom.
    If possible, find something that you do that you do very very well. If you don't have something particular, think about something that you might like to learn an find a willing friend or family mem. to teach you.
    These ideas won't take care of the problems you feel, but they will help you begin the process of self-helping. Don't forget to keep your nutrition on par (no soda's, sugars, junk food, etc.) Try to stick to good proteins, fresh veg. and lots of fresh or cooked fruit, too, and plenty of water to keep the body balanced. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• When my Dr. put me on adderall for add my self esteem gradually got better, I could concentrate better, got more accomplished and was better able to talk to people. It really hit my appetite and I could barely even look at food. (I lost 40 lbs!) I lost my insurance and can't afford it any more and everything went down hill again. I really miss it now!

Lark280

Answer by Lark280 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Lifeasinoit has some really great suggestions! I can't top a one of those!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009