Red dots on my 17 month old's cheeks....

Since yesterday my son has had a runny nose, a little bit of a cough, and his cheeks are red and have what seem like dots on them, not raised... looks like a rash inside the skin. He also has diarrhea, runny poop, and this last batch smelled fishy. Yuck. Anyone else have a child who experienced the same symptoms?
I am going to call his pediatrician tomorrow. I was just curious to see if anyone had any insight.

IsaacMom2007

Asked by IsaacMom2007 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take a glance at his face... could a stranger think his cheeks are red because someone had slapped them? If so, it's probably Fifth Disease.  Take him in to be safe.  And be sure to call ahead so they know you are bringing in a child with a rash.  My doctor's office takes kids with rashes in through a back door and straight into an exam room.  They don't want the child running around the waiting room.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Other possibilities are roseola and scarlet fever. Treat his symptoms and take him to the pediatrician tomorrow to be sure.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 6:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It also could be an allergic reaction. Have you offered him something to eat that is new? Allergic reactions don't always raise. Definitely call your doctor especially if it does not clear up.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My DD had roseola when she was 6 months old and she had the same symptoms.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 8:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2009