cloth diapers. Are you supposed to wash them in your own washer at home?

I thought that you were supposed to send them to get them cleaned and is there risk of bacteria?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are services where you can send them to be cleaned but you can also wash them in your own washing machine.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Not at all if you wash them right. You could use a diaper service but that really counteracts all of the $$ you would be saving.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 5:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It's perfectly safe washing them in your own washing machine. I really can't see the point in sending them away to be cleaned.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My friend washed her own at home in the washing machine, she would dunk a dirty diaper in the toilet to get the soil out and put them in a 5 gallon bucket of water with alittle bit of bleach and washed them daily, BUT NOT WITH HER REGULAR CLOTHES. Oh for safety, keep the bucket out of reach of the child, babies can look in the bucket and fall in....I know, Iknow but you can never be to careful with water and bleach.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It's fine to wash them at home.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You can also do a dry pail for cloth diapers so there isn't a drowning hazard what-so-ever like there is with a wet pail.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 6:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I washed them at home. This is for your's and your family's safety. NEVER, I repeat, NEVER put chlorine in with the dirty diapers until they have gone through the wash cycle once. You can put bleach in the second cycle to get them nice and white before you put them in the dryer. If you put it in the pail while the diapers are wet with ammonia, you will create chlorine gas or another type of toxic gas. Very bad idea.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2009