My 3 yr. old son won't go pee.

My 3 yr. old son won't go pee. He says it hurts every time he tries and he won't go. It has been 8 hours since he has gone. The doctor said to put him in a tub of warm water and encourage him to go, but, it didn't work. I was wondering if I should put some teething gel on it to numb it enough that he would go without it hurting. The doctor will only put in a catheter if it is absolutely necessary since he said it can cause more damage especially in a 3 yr. old boy. Has any one else had this problem? And, what did you do about it? Please help, I am getting panicky and desperate.

CamilleMomma

Asked by CamilleMomma at 6:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• JMO here- but I would NOT put teething gel on a penis! I know gums are sensitive too, but he could have a reaction. Maybe some cranberry juice in case he has a UTI and a diaper or pullup at bed, b/c if he doesn't go he may have an accident when he relaxes and falls asleep. And I would call the Dr again in the morning to get an appointment if it still hurts int he morning.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Your situation is a fragile one because a three old ( i have one as well) are tricky and like to see what they can get away with.
    If it medical then forget my suggestions. I dont think anyone should push a child into something that hurts them. First of all, i would not use teething gel unless your dr has told you to and even then I may not be a good idea.

THis is what worked with my son. A big poster board at eye level, in front of the toilet ( if possible) and a big package of stickers attached to the board. get him really excited about it and get the family to be as vocal as possible about his accomplishment......Me my hubby and our 2 other kids did the "Pee Pee Dance" or the "Pee Pee parade" around the house. This worked very well.
    Our other solution after my son got board with stickers was jellybeans in a little glass canister. Get him excited about choosing what color jelly he gets once he goes pee pee.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 6:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I also think he might have a UTI

( Urinary Tract Infection)
    DramaQueen1030

Answer by DramaQueen1030 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• make him drink until he can't hold it anymore. If he won't drink, try popsicles.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 1:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• If it hurts, it sounds like a UTI.
    He needs to see his doctor to be evaluated, just incase he needs meds for the infections. If he is in pain and can't wait till he see's the doctor, then head to the ER.
    Anonymous