What is wrong with him?

My son who is approximately 1 and a half has been crying nonstop for over an hour. He is not wet, dirty, hungry or injured. He seems to be crying for no reason. I have tried holding him, talking to him, letting him play by himself, giving him his cup and feeding him. I can't figure out what is wrong with him. What do you think I should do? Should I be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How well can he communicate?

My almost 17 month old is able to tell me what part of her body is hurting when she's in pain by pointing, or naming the body part - I assume your son could communicate any physical pain if that was what was wrong?

If you have ruled out him being in pain or hurt - then I'd go ahead and make with the cuddles some more - tell him you're listening to him and keep reassurng him. He might be lke the rest of us, and need a good cry every now and then in the arms of a loved one to release some stress.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• He could just be bored maybe give him a bath my son has always loved baths
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 6:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• did you check his temperature?? Maybe he has an ear infection--- or is constapated??

If you feel something is wrong I would trust your gut and call his pediatrician
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• have you taken his temp?? he could be teething, he's due for mollars!! I would check his temp...give him a teether or something like that see if he wants to chew, and some tylenol. See if it helps, if not after about 1 more hr I'd take him to the Doc or a clinic if the doc's not avail..or emerg.
    Anonymous

• start with taking his temperature and checking his mouth to see if he is teething. If neither of these is the problem, try giving him a bath or getting in the shower with him. Did he get a nap today? Maybe he is tired.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• How's he doing now? Was he running a temp? Hopefully he'll have a better day tomorrow.
    If you suspect he's teething, you can alternate between ibuprofin and tylenol (as long as your pedi says he can have both). Give the ibuprofin/motrin first and then after 3-4 hours, give the tylenol. Try to time it so that he gets one or the other about 20 min before nap/bed.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2009