can a baby born on jan 29 have ceral in his bottle yet....he eats 5 oz every 2 hours....he crys soo hard because he is hungry..is that too much

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO cereal before 6 months.

And NEVER cereal in a bottle at any age - it is very dangerous. Read - http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reasons-not-to-put-cereal-in-your-babys-bottle

If he is hungry - he needs more milk, only milk.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Noooo you can not give a one month old baby cereal in his bottle. Not only is that unnecessary and may cause problems but it won't fill him up anymore anwanys. Are you sure he's crying because he's hungry? Acting constantly hungry no matter how much they eat and crying non-stop are two big red flags on infant reflux.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 6:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• So give him more formula. He doesn't need cereal, he needs more formula. Feed on demand, feed what he wants.

At 6 weeks, my guys each took 8oz every 2-3 hours. I never put cereal in a bottle, our pediatrician also recommended against it. He said, "Feed him."

If you feed him more and he spits it back up...it's too much.
    If you feed him a bottle and he's crying that he's still hungry...it's not enough.
    You cannot overfeed a baby.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• How do you know its because he is hungry? Maybe his stomach isn't digesting the milk properly. He may need a different type of formula! Mine did! He had to go on Nutramigen because his stomach couldn't digest the protiens properly. He cried alot and was real fussy after eating
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• NO ABSOLUTELY NOT don't do it, it's so bad for they're digestive system to give solids they are 100% not ready, they're little tummies can't handle anything other then formula until around the age of 6 months! Your baby's waaaaaaaay too young. Your baby is probably not crying from hunger, but gas after eating, try burping more..and try laying baby on tummy on your legs head supported carefully and rub baby's back. or lay baby on back and pump legs like riding a bike..this will help relieve gas! they should ONLY have formula for the first 6 months, it also causes asthma and food allergies to give solids too soon as well..it's for they're own good to give only formula or breast milk.

Anonymous

• Oh good gravy people! Her kid is a month old. She knows if he's hungry or not.
    Anonymous

• No he is WAY to young. Congratulations on your new baby!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 6:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would check with your dr. I started putting cereal in my daughters bottle when she was 2 months old because she was spitting up a lot and the cereal weiged down the formula so it stayed down. She has not had any problems. My dr knew about it and didn't tell me not to.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 6:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would start giving him more formula every two hours and see if that helps. It is normal for babies to eat this often. Cereal in the bottle is generally a very big no-no.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't do it now, but my Dr. said that cereal in the bottle was ok, at my sons age...5 months. He said it was fine but we haven't done it. Everyone kept telling me to and I asked just to know. Every Dr. is different so talk to your Pedi, but I think he's way too young. Just give more formula.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2009