Okay.... Just need your opinioin? On traveling with a 8month old.

Okay, so.... I have a ? for all of you Mom's out there, my mother seems to think that I can drive almost 2 hours away with my 8month old twice every two weeks. Our daughter doesn't like the car seat, its not only that its just the drive its so long with a 8month old. Today, I talked to her and we're moving a few apartments down into a new apartment. I told her it would be sometime this weekend, but I would let her know in the next few days. She told me that "She wasn't going to sit around and wait for me to call". I've never asked her to sit around and wait, I've always gave her like 3 or 4 days ahead of time. Its just comments like that makes me not even want to drive the 2 hours. My Dad got diagnosed with Prostate Cancer a few months back and he & my mom is staying with me 2 days a week 2 weeks from now. My husband is getting ready to start a new job, so he will only be off on the weekends. My mother doesn't drive at all..

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 6:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also..... It is 2 hours there and 2 hours back. So it makes it really hard on me. My mother doesn't drive and never has. I'm just getting really annoyed she doesn't understand I guess.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 6:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I think that an 8 month old could handle that. ...but that doesnt mean that she should. ...JMO
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I mean. I know she can handle it, its just how hard it is on me. Because i live this far away and I don't have any help unless my husband is off from work. My mom won't leave my Dad for more than 2 days.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 6:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• to come stay with me to help me
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 6:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Well it is up to you on wether you go or not but I might have an answer for you..... Wait to leave at about her nap time. That way she just takes her nap in the car or if she usually goes down at noon make her stay up till 1 so she is real tired then she will sleep there. The way back should make sure you have toys that can keep her busy. Try putting little kid music in and singing "with her" or talking to her on the way back. I used to drive 2 hours with my daughter all the time and that is what I did
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 6:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Okay, thanks! :) I guess It just really hurts my feelings when she says stuff like that.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 7:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I understand that she hurts your feeling but I lost my dad to cancer and know how hard and scary it is for the family. I have been traveling with my girls since they were 8 weeks old. We go 3 hours away every couple of months to visit family, 3 hours there and 3 hours back. We leave when they are sleepy and after a snack. When we come home we try to come home when its getting dark out so they can fall asleep in the car and stay asleep. My oldest was scared of the darkness in the car when she was tiny so I would give her a glow stick and it would entertain her and keep her happy. I bought them at the dollar store and made sure they would not come apart. Your mom is under alot of stress right now, my mom said mean things sometimes while my dad was sick and she didn't mean to. Remember your dad is her best friend and love of her life and she is scared. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I liked PP's answer. Don't do something that you will regret. After all is said and done, would you regret not seeing your dad every chance you could get? giving him a chance to spend as much time as possible with your ds? My dh and I have driven 8 or even 18 hours to visit family when our 3 ds's were about that age. It wasn't easy. We would turn on the radio or plug in the ipod. We even took a few toys along to try to keep them from fussing too much. Taking yummy snacks along will also keep any baby busy.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2009