• In the Spotlight:

I'm broke and single with six kids. I want eight more kids. Should I?

Seriously, I'm not that woman. But I am asking about delving into childbirth without forethought of consequence. I've seen many questions about this topic. And the response by many has been, "all kids need is love, food, and shelter, and that kids don't need extras".

As we all know, a part of raising kids is understanding pending emergencies and children's self-esteems. It's hard enough to be an American teenager without the right hair and clothes. Love mean understanding all of a child's needs (self-esteem included) and shelter means providing a financial buffer for emergencies.

Seriously, how many moms out there understand that childbirthing also include raising the child into adulthood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• I only have and will have two children, because that's all I can afford WELL! I'm sure I COULD afford eight, but they would be deprived in many ways, even though they were well fed and clothed.

So with that said I agree w/ you 100%
    Anonymous

• Maybe there should be a test for ppl to take before they are allowed to have children. some ppl think it's like having a pet. throw some food down for them and let them out to do their business. If they don't come back just get another one. It's just crazy how so many ppl don't know how important the role of parent is. Just bc you can make a baby doesn't mean you know how to parent. When I found out I was pregnant the first time I took every parenting class I could find and took college psychology classes. Heck, if I was going to take a job as a secretary I'd learn how to type and take dictation. I just think a person should train for the job of parent. It's not easy being a good parent.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• OMG! I have been saying forever that people should have to pass a test to have children. I don't think alot of people think too much further than just the baby part of it. If only people knew beforehand that having a baby doesn't make you a mother.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I understand that. But sometimes I wonder if my parents did. It seemed that they stopped when we got into our teen years.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2009