Question for vegetarian moms

My 19 month old is not very fond of meat. No matter which type I try to serve him he eats everything but the meat. I was wondering if there are some other alternatives I can give my LO in place of meat but still provide protien for him. Thanks. :o)

Austinsmom35

Asked by Austinsmom35 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Cheese, eggs, kidney beans, lentils, soy beans, broccoli, brown rice, mushrooms, almonds, sunflower seeds... the list is enormous!

My 16 month old, like me, is vegetarian, and has lots and lots of protein in her diet.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Check out - http://www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Tofu! Its really good, also try morning star foods.
    Anonymous

• beans
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 9:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• We like the Morning Star farms corndogs, my kids can't tell the difference. But we also cook a lot of beans, eggs, and cheese dishes too. We like to do red beans with brown rice. Just open a can of red beans, put it in a skillet add some cumin and garlic powder and onion powder (or if you like spicy and your kid does too, some cajun seasoning). If its too dry, you can add some vegetable stock. Then cook up some brown rice and top the rice with the beans. Its a simple yet healthy and filling meatless meal.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I'd really watch out for a lot of the packaged meat replacers that I see some people recommending. Many have really high levels of sodium, which you definitely don't want your children to have.
    I like to make a lot of vegetarian soups- lentil, black bean, minestrone, veggie, broccoli and cheddar- they all provide protein.
    Tofu- It can take a little time to get used to cooking with it, but it's full of protein and really good if you cook it right (it just absorbs the favors of whatever you're cooking it with)
    Lentils, any types of beans- a lot of vegetables (spinach and brocolli), legumes... there's really a huge list of healthy things that can substitute the protein in meat
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• im not a veggie mom, BUT we love eating the Flame Grillers by Boca Burgers... when i go to the ped's office for son's next visit, im going to ask when he can start eating them because the protein is Super high.....
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009