How can we do it

how can we do a cheap wedding reception at a resturant, is there anyway we can do a pay for yourself or is that rude? Not really sure how it all works, so any advice would be helpful, BTW there is only going to be about 20 people if that so its very small

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • We got married outside and then had a BBQ type reception- outside. A keg, some sandwiches, brownies- (cuz my cake fell- I tried to make my own but home kitchens are NOT the same as restaurant LOL) cold cut platters etc. It actually wasn't that cheap- but it was good and we did it all ourselves (go Costco)HAHA.

And pay as you go- I work at a hotel that hosts well over a hundred weddings every year... pay as you go is NOT unheard of. As long as the guests know in advance it really isn't that big of a deal. Get over yourselves ladies... They (your guests) are there to celebrate your day and your love- money shouldn't be a stressor or a harm for your future, do what is right for you and ignore these snobby *&^*&%...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It would depend on what type of family and friends you have. You could ask them to pay, but if they are from an older generation, I believe they will expect you to front it all. I am hoping that someone else has a better answer for you.

Good Luck and Congratz
    Anonymous

• I would not ask them to pay, that is a bit tacky. If you want to avoid the cost then maybe don't have it at a restaurant and have it at a hall. Where you can bring in trays of stuff or have a pot luck. I went to a pot luck wedding reception and it was fine. Be creative, but I wouldn't put too much on the guests. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Any time I have ever heard of someone having a reception like this, the consensus was always, "cheap", "tacky" & very much against etiquette. But, as the first poster said, it would depend on the who your guests are and how aware of your personal situation they are. I think personally, rather than have a dinner reception where you ask the guests to pay for themselves, I would opt for a simple cake and punch reception and leave it at that.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Golden Coral is pretty cheap, and the food isn't too bad... my friend had her rehearsal dinner there, but I'm sure it would make a fine reception place too! Plus, it has a wide variety of foods, so even the pickiest eaters will be satisfied, and it's all you can eat so everyone is full! The potluck reception is fun too... everyone gets to contribute and it's mostly home-cooked stuff, so it's really tasty!
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 7:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would rather bring a dish to a potluck reception than have to pay, is there a hall or firestation you can rent and do something like that?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It is bad form to ask people to pay for their food, especially since they're likely already buying a gift. I would decline an invitation a such a wedding.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009