Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take my baby and move to my home state? Or stay put here?

I live in ny state, and I have an 8 month old daughter. Her father and I are no longer dating (we were together for 5 years). I have no friends or family here...they are all in Calif. My ex's friends no longer talk to me since he and I broke up. I can't stand his family. He comes over on the weekends to visit with the baby and me, but he's always having to leave because he's going out with one of his many friends. He never thinks to invite ME. He has numerous "friends who are girls", and I don't know if he's dating them or not. He calls them while he's at my house, and tries to make me jealous.

I really wantto go back to Calif. to be near my friends and family, but I know my ex will have a hard time not seeing our 8 month old on a weekly basis. But I'm really depressed here in ny.

What do I do? Do I stay here and make the most of my life in ny state, or should I go back home?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Honey you need to take care of you and your child, your ex can make arrangements to see his child on his dime. You can not make yourself depressed and miserable for his convience. Go be around your friends and family be happy! Your child will sense your unhappiness and it will affect it too..your main concern should be you guys well being and happiness. Obviously he is taking care of his. Men are self centered.

    Answer by 1countrygal at 8:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • Go, if that will make you happy.

    Answer by mandaday at 8:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • If you have sole custody, and hes obviously not making much of an effort...then leave where you can be happy and be a better mom to your baby. IT is best to be closer to your parents and mom and family.You only get one mom,and I think being closer to them will help you out. Just move there,get settled and start all over.

    Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • You need to focus on you and if your not happy thats not safe for the baby. Go home and be around the support you need. If he is that concerned about the baby then he wouldnt have left.

    Answer by Cazzie at 8:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • check the state law and see what you can do about taking the baby out of state. Try and link to Know the Law and see if they have the answer for you or (that is 2 v's not a w). You could always call a NY lawyer and ask. However, in answer to your question, if it's not against the law to take the baby without his permission then I'd head home.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2009