are there yoga moves for headaches?

I get a lot of headaches and I think its because I carry my 18mo son a lot, would yoga help this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• I don't know about yoga, but carrying your son would have no effect on your head or headaches - muscle aches, sure.

If you don't like taking every day painkillers then try drinkng more water, getting more fresh air, and more fresh fruit and veg.
    Anonymous

• Yoga could help strengthen your muscles and help loosen up tight areas so that tight areas wouldn't be pulling on other areas to create an imbalance.

Answer by Bmat at 8:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• (oops, hit the wrong button, so I'll continue my post here)
    So I think that yoga would benefit you as far as helping prevent headaches do to straining certain areas.
    In addition, to help relieve headaches, yoga stretches would help relax muscles that are tight and causing the headache, and yoga relaxation practice would work directly on the aching area.
    Here is a brief description of something you can do right now. (it is done with closed eyes, so read first LOL!) Inhale very slowly, hold, exhale slowly. Inhale slowly and imagine that you are breathing in energy, hold and let that energy move toward the aching area, exhale and imagine that you are blowing away the tension and pain. Relax more every time you breathe. Don't let your mind wander from the exercise, if it wanders bring it back. Relax. Relax. Move your head gently sideways and forward to help relax. breathe and relax.

Answer by Bmat at 8:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• (sorry) "due to straining" ^^^

Answer by Bmat at 8:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Carrying around your child can absolutely trigger headaches, because it throws off the alignment of your back and shoulders. I was have 3-4 migraines a week before I finally figured it out and got help. And, yes, yoga can help!!! I am an Anusara junkie, and John Friend himself cured my migraines in one session. I'm not kidding. I've had migraines for 25 years, and now they are gone because of the adjustments he showed me. Ttry to find an anusara instructor and ask about heart-opening back bends. You want to get your shoulders up and back (clasp your hands behind your back if you can), with your shoulder blades flat on your back or even curled into your back. You want to melt your heart forward and up. And you want to let your head fall gently back.

(cont)
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• (cont)

The instinct with a headache is to let your head and shoulders hunch forward and sort of collapse. It also seems like it would be helplful to stretch the back of your neck by dropping your head forward. Don't. That is the opposite of what you probably need. Back bends, heart openers, and neck openers will probably make a world of difference in how you feel. Good luck.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• ... I wish I could send you a video if me doing the poses so you could see... lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2009