I need help feeding my 10 month old, please any help is appreciated.

Okay my son is 10 months and I breastfeed him. The foods we have tried so far aren't the best choices but i was concerned he wasnt eating enough the doctor said he was under weight. I was thinking it's because he's crawling and trying to walk so he's more active but that has been bothering me for months so i'd go and buy him mcdonalds and give him cheetos and basically things a baby isn't supposed to have just to try to get him to gain weight because i don't want him to be underweight. he won't really eat anything though and i'm really concerned. like today he ate some cheetos 3 a few puff cereal things like 6 a few small spoons of cake like 2 and a small bite of cornbread and a few strands of noodles. he hardly eats anything and i am really concerened like i can see his ribs when he breathes in and out like i can feel them. my doctor is ridiculous and i'm changing pediatricans i just need some other advice from moms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he needs fruits and vegetables
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Hmm...well some babies are just small. As long as your new pediatrician isn't freaked out by it or anything I think it's fine. If he (or she) is alarmed I'm sure you will get some good ideas from him or her. He seems pretty active so that is probably why he isn't really gaining.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Good foods for helping them gain weight tend to be high in protein. Oatmeal, cream of wheat, beans, chicken, tofu, and things like that are very healthy, some are high calorie, they are high in protein, some are high in iron. They are healthy and will help him gain weight. He is not going to starve himself. If he seems healthy, but is just underweight, he is probably normal for him. I would not worry too much. However, feeding them junk food to get them to gain weight could cause the opposite problem. He may then refuse to eat healthier foods and down the road he could end up obese because all he eats are cheetos and mcdonalds. If your new doctor is concerned too, ask for a referral to a nutritionist who can help you pick out a healthy diet for your son that will help him gain weight.

My son was very small too. His birthweight was 10lbs 4oz and at 1 year he barely weighed 19 lbs. He is still very thin, but healthy.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• 10 mos? He doesn't even NEED solids if he's not into them. Just keep on nursing. Underweight? Losing, or just under what the doctor would like? If he's not losing, and he is having 6-8 diapers a day, no worries.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009