Son getting a cold.

I'm wondering if there's anything as far as children's otc medicine I can give my 21 month old son for his cold he's getting? I don't want to go to the doctor yet but am seriously thinking of taking him tomorrow if not Tuesday.

jilligan362

Asked by jilligan362 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is no reason to take him to the doctor just because he is getting a cold. Even for a mild fever, cough, runny nose etc...

Really all you can do is give liquid like water/100% juice and lay low for a few days giving him time to rest and keep his immune system up. Chicken soup always makes me feel better when I have a cold too.

Rest and time are the only cures for a cold. Medicine wise, I am not sure anymore with all the changes. I think most offices will let you just call for input over having to bring him in. They can tell you what's safe and what is the best to take for certain symptoms.

I would only take him in if he seems like he might have something more serious going on like a secondary infection ex: ear infection, pneumonia etc...
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• J9Mommy is right. Try not to give medicines unless absolutely necessary. The only thing I would add to her list of treatment is a humidifier. If he is congested at night you can add a bit of menthol or lavender into the water. Saline drops also help a stuffy nose, which you can make yourself with a mixture of salt in with distilled or boiled water. Look up the homemade recipe online. Coughing is good if he has some mucus because that is the only way he can bring it up. If you give him cough medicine to stop his coughing then the mucus settles into his lungs and causes an infection. You can elevate the head of his bed to help him breathe easier.
    I know it is hard when your child is ill, but there is no need to take him away from his comfy bed and tv shows to the docs office unless he develops an infection - just as J9Mommy stated.
    Hope he feels well soon!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I would have to advise against OTC medication also - there is just so much bad news on the meds and technically, from what I've read, they don't work anyway - not any more than water / jiuce/ humidfier and love :) right now my son has a bad chest cold and I give him extra bottles of milk ( he's only 15 months old ) and pedialyte ( if he will take it ) and johnson and johnson vapor baths !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• No point to go to the Dr. over a cold. They can only treat infections. Ride it out. It's good for a body to ride it out, it helps build immunities.
    Anonymous