• In the Spotlight:

what is it called when you are pregnant and lay on your back and your heart rate drops?

I just read somewhere about this and I am sure that I have it - I didn't realize there was a name for it but I can't remember it now...does anyone know it?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Is it heart rate or blood pressure, some pregnant women have orthostatic hypotension when they lay down or get up to fast, but I have not heard of a lowered heart rate... How would you know your heart rate is dropping, are you taking your own pulse?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• yeah maybe it's lower blood pressure - that's what I meant! Thank you!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Well as a general rule no pregnant women is advised to lay on your back because it will make your blood flow slow down because the baby lays on some nerve so it can make you feel like you are having a panic attack...symptoms like dizziness, short of breath, and increased heart rate but it is something all pregnant women can get if the baby is laying on the nerve when you lay on your back and there is no specific name that I know of. Good luck and maybe ask the doctor but it is best to lay on your sides if possible.
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• YOUR LAYING ON A NERVE ,
    Sunshine172

Answer by Sunshine172 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009