This has been bothering me all day...

I put this as anonymous b/c this person is my friend on CafeMom and I don't want her to know it was me. But, this has been bothering me all day. My DD is 6 months old and doesn't sleep through the night, wakes up 2-5 times a night. She is breastfed and I understand breastfed babies wake up more than formula fed. Well my friend called me and was saying I should quit breastfeeding and force my DD to take a bottle(b/c she won't), but I don't want to b/c I enjoy breastfeeding. I'm not against people who formula feed, but I do know that breastmilk is said to be better. My DD only eats about 1 oz each time she feeds and my friend says I'm a bad parent b/c I'm not feeding my DD enough, even though I've read breastfed babies eat less at 1 feeding than formula fed do. Do you think I'm right to stick with breastmilk, even though my DD doesn't sleep well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should do what YOU feel is right for you. My oldest was breastfed and she woke up alot too, If you have started feeding solids give her a little cereal mixed with breast milk before bedtime, you can still breastfeed her and she may sleep alittle longer and not wake up as much. If you are not solid feeding yet then if you don't mind waking up to feed her then don't worry about it. You do whats best for you and your baby.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Your friend is wrong for saying that to you.You do what is best for you & your baby.Dont do something just because she thinks its wrong thats not a true friend.
    Anonymous

• How do you know she only gets about an ounce? Chances are very good, she gets more than that... but no I dont think you are a bad mom, if she is thriving has plenty of wet diapers a day and happy and healthy ...you continue to breastfeed your baby.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Your baby is that, a baby a young baby still. You are not a bad mother because at the age of your baby you still want to excusively breast feed. Her growth is good, weight, height? You have time still to get her on other foods later.
    Anonymous

• I mean if your baby isn't crying that she is hungry then she must be getting enough to eat.
    My 6-month-old son is on formula and he eats between 24-34 oz of formula a day plus half a jar of a vegetable and 3 tablespoons of oatmeal mixed in with formula. And he's in the 50% in weight for his age.

I wouldn't switch over just because your baby doesn't sleep through the night though. All babies are different and even if you switched to formula isn't a sure thing that she'd sleep through.

You're the mother. You do what you think is right.
    Anonymous

• Your friend might have a hang up with breastfeeding. If you feel that breastfeeding is best for your baby, then continue to do it.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 9:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Of COURSE you are right to continue to breastfeed ! ... there are several reasons to stay away from formula unless you have no choice. ... as to whether your daughter is getting enough nourishment - you can make sure you are eating plenty (7 to 9 servings - which takes dedication) of produce, both fresh and cooked fruits and vegetables. This increases both the amount and the wholesomeness of your milk.

If you DO feel she needs more substance, then you're in perfect synch with your baby's digestive development. At 6 months, she is just about old enough to start having some grain porridge ( I like the Demeter brand Holle baby cereal ) with water or with milk (again, if you want to be careful, seek out organic milk - the vitamin D in commercial milk is a good thing to avoid, and some people react badly to milk only because of the un-pure nature of commercial milk).

Sounds like you have very good instincts. ... Enjoy !

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Sweetheart you are doing what is best for your baby, and not what is convenient for you. That gets you a 2 thumbs up. Your daughter will thank you for it in the long run. She will let you know what she wants to eat and when. I doubt you are underfeeding her. Keep going mama.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• OMG your friend is a poo-head (trying hard to be PG here, lol). I have twins, and i formula feed (kinda had to), but i would loved to have been able to breastfeed my girls. She has no right to tell you that you're a bad mom because you breastfeed- WHAT?!?! grrr... As long as you feed her when she's hungry, and she's gaining weight like she's supposed to and is healthy, you're doing the right thing. IMO, she's not much of a friend if she's judging you like that. I would tell her (nicely, of course), that you're pretty sure you know whats best for your baby, and this is the way you want your child raised. She'll get older, start eating solid foods, and eventually not need the breastmilk as much, and she'll sleep through the night. It's completely up to you what you feel is best for your baby. Funny cuz most people i know look down on you because you formula feed instead of breastfeed - now you're getting one who is downing
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 9:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• you because you are doing what is reccommended for your baby?! Boo on her, lol. OK.... i think im done ranting now. hehe.

Just remember its YOUR BABY. You are mom, You know whats best ;)

Kudos for you!
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 9:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009