Seperation Anxiety???

My son is only 6 1/2 months old. His Grandpa (my husband's dad)came over today and hadn't seen him in about a month. When he got here he immediately wen to pick up my son. My son started to cry and reach for me. Could it be seperation anxiety? My mom and dad don't see him very often and he dones't do that with them.

DessaG20

Asked by DessaG20 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be starting.....good luck. My nephew did this FOREVER!!!!
    Anonymous

• it could just be that or he might think he doesnt know him
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 9:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I don't think it's as much seperation anxiety and a normal reaction at that age - I remember reading about the Clingy stage around that time -my son is only 15-1/2 months old but he wouldn't go to people he didn't see on a weekly basis for a couple months - he grew out of it, as long as I treated it as a real feeling at the time and let my family members who didn't see him so much tend to him later and if I didn't make a big deal of it once it was over or happening
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• This is actually called stranger anxiety and it is totally normal for this age. When new people come over, give him time to get used to them and approach them by himself instead of having someone reach out for him. He will get past some of it and as he gets older his memory will get longer and people he does not see often will be remembered as friends.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• it could be, although books that I have read say it starts later...who knows?!? Did he warm up pretty fast? good luck!

you may be interested in checking this out, it is great for new moms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxYwrP-IBs

blakesma

Answer by blakesma at 10:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2009