Every Night my living room has a sea of toys that I put away I have a 18month old) is there a limit of how many toys should be out? to many choices? But my son plays with mostly all of them

NicksMom11385

Asked by NicksMom11385 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always rotate toys. I have a gigantic tupperware tub where I store a lot of toys. After a month or so. I get it down and swap out toys. That way they are always NEW and there are not so many of them out at one time.

(I did this when my kids were small, doesnt work when the kids are bigger) lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Perhaps you could divide the toys among a few canvas or trash bags and bring out only one bag a day. This would not only cut back on the number of toys out but also provide variety from day to day. :)

Answer by Bmat at 9:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I had that same problem and had to separate the toys into smaller bins. She can only play with one at a time and when she wants another one, she has to pick up the toys that she is done with and put them back in the bin.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 10:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• hmm good idea how old is she?
    NicksMom11385

Answer by NicksMom11385 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I agree with the first comment since he still plays with them - ME, I am having a garage sale this summer because my son prefers cleaning rather than toys - I have no idea why - by he has to vaccum, dust and sweep daily and I know he didn't get it from me lol!! but he could care less about the mound of toys he could be playing with
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• 18 months is planty old enough to help pick up toys before bedtime. You do it the same time every night say 'time to help pick up" You do it with them..make it fun. I started before mine were a yr old. It works and you advance it as they get older until they pick up ALL their own.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• She will be 2 years the end of April, but I started this when she was 17 months old. She is headstrong :) So it took some work, but she caught on.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 10:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• i let mine play with them all...i don't mind cleaning up a sea of toys every night. that's just me, i guess.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• my son is 2 1/2 and has lots of toys, and he rather play w/ his lil box w/ hot wheels, dirtbikes, motorbikes, monster trucks.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I rotate the toys also and when holiday come around i only put a few new ones out till they get old, then time for new!
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 11:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2009