My 18 month old boy gives a grunt whenever he doesn't get his way he sounds like a monster & I do hate the sound would you put him in time out for grunting & acting up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• for grunting. ...no i would not put my DS in timeout. it is okay for children to express their dislike. it is okay for them to be mad. it is okay for them to not like whatever it is that you are telling them. As long as he learns that he still has to listen. ...but it also depends on how the noise is inteaded. my son used to make rude noises like raspberries but with his lips right in my face whenever he didnt get his way. i did put an end to that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Uh well I have a 15-1/2 month old son that is used to being cared for by his grandma, my husband and me - so he throws a tantrum every time we are not doing everything he wants to do - I have been feeling lately that tough love is going to happen or he will become "one of those children" that you see in the store throwing a fit and screaming -I don't know about time out but what about ignoring it? I started that last weekend when he throws a fit and it only takes about a 5 minute fit for him to realize I am not giving in to what he wants - lovingly say NO honey, MOmmy's busy and then nothing again til he's occupied by something else -eh - I am a first time mom so who know's what realyl works - this does THIS WEEK loL!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• your son is till a baby!!! I have a son in his twenties and he still grunts!!! My husband has a slew of brothers and they still grunt!! Ignore his grunting with no punishment just a stern no if it's in an inappropriate place when it happens, maybe even leave with him. I'd definitely praise baby for other great sounds and accomplishments. he's only a baby. He's going to be doing far worse things than grunting mom lol.
    Anonymous

• For grunting, for showing that he doesn't agree and is unhappy, no.
    For pitching a fit, I'd put him in "calm down", not "time out".
    For throwing things, breaking things, hitting, kicking, biting, etc, I'd put him in timeout.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Well comeon a baby grunts? And mom is exceptionally worried about that? If that is accompanied by misbehavior in serious serious other ways then it's something to worry about. op your son's learning his voice that's all. if you don't love the sound don't reward him with attention, massive attention, when he does it.
    Anonymous

• No time out for grunting because that is his way of expression since he can't tell you yet. Time out is good for constantly disobeying and doing something that will harm him. If he's throwing a fit, don't give him an audience. My son makes those grunty noises when he's mad or I won't let him have something, I ignore it or validate to him that he is mad and tell him why it is I won't let him do it or have it.
    Anonymous

• 18 months is about when i start dealing with "attitude" issues. if they're crying and throwing a fit. . . or even grunting in a way that it's obvious they're trying to get their own way, i start by ignoring it. if they continue i let them know that if they'd like to keep acting that way, they can go to their room where i don't have to see it. . . and when they're ready to be sweet, then they can come back.
    rachelo

Answer by rachelo at 10:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't discipline your toddler for grunting, but for acting up, yes.

If the two happen to go together....time out for the worst offense. It's past time (in my opinion) to have started discipline, so it may take a while for it to really work. Keep at it and be consistent. Toddlers are quite capable of "getting" it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2009