New mom ?'s

Ok, Im having trouble pumping, my baby is 5 weeks old and i have to decide soon whether or not i can go back to work. My question is can you BF and give formula at the same time? if not i either have to quit my job or switch to formula.

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I breastfed as much as I could and pumped for 6 weeks straight until my son learned how to latch on properly. Now, my husband gives him formula while I am at work PT and I nurse at home too... it is fine :) check this out, it is great for new moms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxYwrP-IBs

blakesma

Answer by blakesma at 10:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• yeah you can do 50/50. just no mixing
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You can do both. BUT...drop by the breastfeeding moms group. We've helped many moms and I bet we can help you too. We need to do some Q&A and the answers section is really poor for that kind of conversation.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• that's what I did for the first 2 months - My son was the one who decided it wasn't working - it killed me not to BF him but anyway - yes - you can do both! your job HAS to, by law - let you pump and pay you for the time -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Sorry, but only certain states have laws to aid working breastfeeding mothers, and I don't know that any state will PAY you to pump.

For breastfeeing laws in your state, check here:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• And yes, you can give formula and continue to breastfeed....

Pumping takes practice. When I started, I could hardly pump anything, and now, 8 months later, I let down just at the sound of my pump- hah.

I would talk to some ladies in the breastfeeding group- I'd love to write more but I'm crunched on time at the moment.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I'll take all the info i can get. i dont want to stop BF and im gonna keep at it for now. i just wondered if it came down to it what my options are.
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Of course you can - any breast milk is better than none. However, I would see a lactation consultant if I were you...before deciding that you can't pump. You'd be surprised how much help they can be! Congrats on your new baby!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• did you know you can possibly get donor milk? you don't HAVE to do formula, if you don't want to. i believe there is a group for pumping mothers here, and i've heard they are helpful. congrats on the new baby!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You can do both. Or you can stay home and just nurse. Or you can do this, or that, there are plenty of options.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009