Does anyone have a mom who has memory loss?

I am 52 yrs old, who has a mom who is 73 and has memory loss, she has no energy and I feel that I am taking care of her as a baby, I need some advice on how to handle her with meeting her needs. Her husband helps alot, and I do pray to God for some strength and help everyday. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you
God bless

Laboricua1956

Asked by Laboricua1956 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Health

• Have you thought about assisted living or a nursing home?
    (covering my head before I get smacked!)
    I work in a nursing home so I know how emotionally frusterated, how time demanding and just plain hard it is dealing with memory loss- not to mention how sad!! Are you two giving her showers, putting attends on her, like everything like a baby? If so, that may be the best route for all of you. Good luck to you- I'll say a prayer for you and your family!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My aunt has Alzheimers. My uncle provided all care for her but is very ill, so he reluctantly put her in a nursing home. She is happy there. She is thriving compared to the unresponsive state she was in when she was home. It is extremely sad to have memory loss happen to a loved one. Call your Office for the Aging and ask for information on support groups for Alzheimers and if they have booklets on what you can do, even if the memory loss isn't Alzheimers. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 11:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2009