Are you one of those that keeps track of Obama's promises?

The administration's top budget official, Peter Orszag, said Obama would sign the $410 billion spending bill despite a campaign pledge that he would reject tailored budget requests that let lawmakers send money to their home states. Orszag said Obama would move ahead and overlook the time-tested tradition that lets officials divert millions at a time to pet projects.

It was the Washington equivalent of officials pinching their nose and swallowing a bitter pill.

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I gave up, after, the no lobbyist in his administration, no special interest groups, absolute transparency, the people would get a chance to see any legislation before it's signed, the list just goes on and on.....I quit keeping track! lol

frustrated

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• WASHINGTON -- The White House on Sunday downplayed massive deficit spending and President Obama's pledge not to sign legislation laden with billions in earmarks amid Republican criticism that he was recanting on a key campaign promise.
    03-01-09
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Who the hell is Obama?
    Anonymous

• This isn't the first broken promise...I'm sure it won't be his last. Like a month into his Presidency and already, nothing he does surprises me.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• yea, Republicans hate earmarks, except their own
    WASHINGTON - Republicans are expected to deliver a daylong rant Wednesday against Democratic spending legislation, yet the bill is loaded with thousands of pet projects that Republican lawmakers inserted.

Rep. Ralph Hall, R-Texas, included $142,500 for emergency repairs to the Sam Rayburn Library and Museum in Austin, Texas. Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., joined state colleagues to include $1.425 million for Nevada "statewide bus facilities." The top two Republicans on Congress' money committees also inserted local projects.

In all, an estimated $3.8 billion worth of specific projects, called "earmarks," are in the $410 billion spending bill that the House of Representatives is to vote on Wednesday. Easy passage is expected. The Senate is expected to act soon, too, since federal agencies will run out of money a week from Friday unless new funds are enacted.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• House Democrats estimate that Republicans inserted 40 percent of the earmarks in the bill. An independent budget watchdog group, Taxpayers for Common Sense, said the 60-40 Democratic-Republican ratio followed historical patterns.

Earmarks are back even though both parties' presidential candidates criticized them sharply last year. As recently as last week, President Barack Obama boasted that his economic stimulus plan was earmark-free.

The House measure would fund most domestic programs for the remaining seven months of fiscal 2009 at a level 8 percent higher than last year. Many Republicans want a spending freeze instead.

"That's exactly what we should do," said Ensign, the chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee.

Still, he vigorously defended his earmark requests
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• The reason I've been opposed" to earmarks in the past "is that it's often a way of buying votes, and it often makes the spending packages too big," he said. "They're just not going to buy my vote with anything."

House Republican leaders are even more insistent that the bill is wasteful.

"It does have 9,000 earmarks in it. And (that's) just another example of how Washington is really good at wasting people's money," House Republican leader John Boehner of Ohio said.

House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence of Indiana sidestepped questions about the earmarks, however, saying that disclosure is what matters most.

"I'd like to see us put the spending into daylight, and we can have that debate," he said.

There's plenty to debate.
    Hall, whose office didn't respond to requests for comment, boasts on his Web site that "I support efforts to eliminate wasteful spending and slow the rate of growth in government."
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• His earmark would help a museum that honors Rayburn, the legendary Democratic House leader of the mid-20th century.

He's hardly alone.

Rep. Jerry Lewis of California, the top Republican on the House Appropriations Committee, would spend $3.8 million on a Needles, Calif., highway.

Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, the top Republican on Senate Appropriations, backs earmarks including a $950,000 nature education center in Moss Point, Miss. He defends earmarks.

"You have to take these on a case-by-case basis," he said. "A lot of these projects are justified."

One prominent Republican critic, however, wouldn't relent. When he was asked what Obama should do with a bill full of earmarks, Sen. John McCain of Arizona said flatly: "I would call on him to veto it."
    sweet-a-kins

• don't all presidents break a promise? They never fully do what they say. It's always somewhere in the middle after everything goes through all the steps it takes.

I don't even know what he promised, so I can't keep track.

I never paid that much attention to his promises/stands- Nor those of McCain.

(I am not a Democrat nor Republican)

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• No, I don't - I actually have a life.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2009