Swiming?

At what age can you take a baby swiming?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 10:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our pool starts parent/child classes at 6 months. My friends have a pool and I know their pediatrician told them earlier was okay- but I can't remember how little he was. I know he was at least 4 months old!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• 6 mo. is the general guideline but I'd say if they can situp comfortably, then they probably have enough neck and back strength to handle it. (I took my daughter in the pool at 4-5 mo. but only for short periods of time and in my arms the whole time).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I live in one of the counties in Utah where children under the age of 5 are not allowed in the pool because of cryptosporidium, a parasite that can cause severe diarrhea. You will need to check with your local pool.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My son has been swimming since he was 2 weeks old but it wasn't in a pool, it was in the ocean and the water was nice and warm. For a pool i would wait at least 6 months.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I will be introducing our daughter to swimming this summer at a friend's house. She will be six months old in May, and I am looking forward to it! The earlier the better!
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 1:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• My son was 6 wks old when I took him into the pool. Mostly because that was when it was warm enough outside. It was a heated pool and he had on a hat and long sleeve shirt. They don't recommend putting sunscreen on until they are 6 months old. He was in my arms the whole time and I stayed in the shallow end while protecting him from the splashing of other kids. Funny thing was, is that he loved going into the pool, but he hated baths until he was about 5 months old. I would always give him a shower with me to save the screaming.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009