HELP ! My 14 month old son does not sleep well at night. Give me your ideas on how to help him sleep through the night.

I really would rather not have him cry it out so I've been reading the book "No Cry, Sleep Solution". It's given me some good ideas but he still wakes up twice a night. The only thing that gets him back to sleep for at least another 4 hours is a bottle. Some friends say that letting them cry it out works and some say it doesn't.

Asked by one_baby at 11:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It worked for all 3 of my kids and they all turned out just fine. Use your instincts. Stay consistent. Get a routine going and stick with it. He is old enough to manipulate you to get what he wants and he WILL do it. You have to finally put your foot down and be firm with him.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• he's waking up mostly to make sure you are there...go in...DO NOT PICK HIM UP...change him if needed and then lay him back down...he will cry but he will be 2 are find and they are 22 and 12 years old. Also agree to be consistent...he will find that he won't get his way and just go back to sleep.

Answer by teddybear112881 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Do what works for you, but if you read any current research on CIO you will find that it can damage a baby.

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We are aorking on that too, but what seems to be working, and has got us to only 1 waking, from wking every hour is, when he wakes up i put hi on his belly and pat him back too sleep, sometimes it may take a few minutes but then he usually sleeps till morning. then there is no CIO!!!

Answer by Kagenj07 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• A good feeding and a warm bath always helped put my kids to sleep. Also maybe cut down on the naps he takes during the day.

Answer by Sexymom75 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You may want to try a crib tent. Tots in Mind makes a wonderful crib tent that can be purchased at Babies R Us online or in a local store. It allows your little one to have their own special space that makes them feel safe and secure. It is mesh and zips up. Covers the entire bed so no more lost pacifiers, blankets, or lovies. My 13 1/2 month old loved his and slept through the night the first night we got this for him and also included a noise machine that had the sounds of a waterfall and some other soft sounds that helped him not feel so alone when he woke and know it is still time to sleep because the tent was still zipped and the sound machine was still one.
    Try this link to take you to the site where I got mine if you want to look at it:

Answer by Funx3 at 1:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I have twin girls and we did the CIO method to a degree. I would go in and check on them to let them know I was there, but I would not pick them up. Now if they had freaked out really bad and could not breathe or something then I would have picked them up for a moment to calm them down. I would continue that until they got themselves to sleep. I believe it hurts your child worse to give him sleep crutches than it does to let him cry himself to sleep. I have a 16 year old son also and I rocked him to sleep every night. He still has trouble sleeping. In my opinion teaching them to sleep at night is one of the best things you can do for them. You just have to figure out the best way for you to do that. My girls were sleeping peacefully without any sleep aides after the first couple of days.

Answer by leshee at 1:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• To me it sounds like you just need to get a strict schedule going. What time he wakes up, takes his nap and goes down for the night. Unfortunately that does take a minimum of a week to really get going. Until then when he cries and wants a bottle, pls just give him water. This will fill his tummy a little bit to sooth it but it won't have an effect on his teeth later on.

P.S. There are different ways of the CIO method. I used the gradual method. That's where the first night you peak in on them every 7 minutes or so but don't pick them up. As the days go on the interval increases. But something you should notice is that by the 3rd or 4th day he's not crying for nearly as long. After about 10 maybe 14 days he should only cry for a few minutes and then pass out.

Good Luck Let us know how it goes and what you decide.

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son was always a great sleeper, but that may have meant that I was doing things right! The one thing that really seemed to help for my son was to put him to bed with his formula or milk bottle with cereal in it. You can buy the infant rice cereal at any food store, just mix some in with your warm formula or milk and let them have that before bed time. It helps them go to bed with a full warm tummy so they don't have the need to wake up, they generally stay full and stay sleeping.

Answer by BeckNAiden at 7:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2008