How can I get her to stop freaking out over the potty? She tells me she has to go.

I have a 2 year old girl that says shes got to go. But when I take her to go, weather the potty's in the bathroom, her room, living room, in front of TV with Dora on, gave her privacy, I have sat on it (and yes i peed in it, in hopes she will), sat on the big potty and did both( still bring her in to show her), offer candy, bananas, apples, another Dora DVD, stay the night at Nanas with out me, everything! Why does she freak out even tho shes telling me, she has to go?

LaurenNoelle

Asked by LaurenNoelle at 10:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter also did that. I just kept putting her on it. She cried and screamed everytime for about a week. I didn't know what else to do either.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My daughter was the same....but then I gave up potty training. She knew how to do everything on her own, from pulling down her pants to washing her hands. She just wouldn't do it. So I gave up. Then one day when she was 2 1/2, she decided she wanted to go potty. She did it all on her own and has been ever since. That's one thing they can control, so I let her control it. She did it when SHE was ready, not when I was.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. She would tell me and then freak out when we got anywhere near the potty. So I started taking her to the bathroom to sit on her potty when she said that she had to go. Then I would sit on the "big potty" if I had to go or not. The first time she fussed for a little while and then we started playing the "whats this". At first it was me asking her what different things in the bathroom were and now she asks me. As for the toy thing. Never did it. But I will say that everytime she goes potty she claps and says "yea potty". My husband still laughs at us but hell it works who cares.
    leigh_christi

Answer by leigh_christi at 11:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• hello, I have found that a lot of times when toddlers are just learning to go potty, they need to have the comfort that you will be there with them as this is something new to them. Sometimes they are afraid because of the loud noises of the toilet as it is flushing. Also, they see that something that came out from them has gone down somewhere and away and they are frustrated by that too; also reading a child's book about going to the potty may help your child understand what is happening there. Hope this helps somewhat.
    ThatMomChar

Answer by ThatMomChar at 1:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2009