Daughter touching herself and saying odd things

I put my baby in the bathtub because she's been throwing up. She grabs herself (private area) and says "tight". I am incredibly concerned. I havent been in a relationship in quite sometime, so there's no way she got anything remotely like that from being around me. She's never said that before. She also just got back from visiting her fathers. Do you think maybe she overheard him and his g/f or something? Where on earth did she get this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe you are misunderstanding her?

I know that toddlers touching themselves is more than normal. It's definitely an age thing. I don't know where she would have learned it, if she indeed said "tight" that's just weird. Maybe ask her father about it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I don't now if this is it- but my daughter (she's 3) used to freak out if she had to pee during or after a bath because it felt "funny" and was "ouchie". I asked the doctor- and he said it can be normal for little girls. THey can get some water up where they pee when they are in the bath and it can be a weird sensation when they pee after their bath (or during their bath if they aren't potty trained). Is it possible your daughter had to pee or did pee in the bath and it just felt strange to her? By the way- my doctor said to have her spread her legs a little wider when she goes and that helps it not feel so "funny". DOn't know if that was it- but just a thought!
    Anonymous

• I thought I misheard her at first. But she repeated the word several times. I'd ask her father, but he's always aggressive and denies anything and everything.
    Anonymous

• That is very odd. It's not unusual for children to touch themselves, but for it to be paired with language like that is very concerning. Did you ask her where she heard that? You should call her father and ask him if she may have over heard it there. It probably wouldn't hurt to have her checked over by her pediatrician.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Idk. She's never said 'tight' before. And she didnt have bubbles or anything in the bathtub, so I'm sure I wouldv'e noticed if she had peed.
    Anonymous

• I asked her. She didnt say where. (she's 2)
    I'm definately going to say something to her pediatrician about it, and see what she thinks.
    Anonymous

• Touching themselves is perfectly normal. As for the "tight" thing... I would also advise talking to her father about it. Just don't take it to personally when he says he doesn't know. Little kids pick up more just by watching and listening then we could ever imagine. Even when you don't think that they can hear you. :)
    leigh_christi

Answer by leigh_christi at 11:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I think you are making too much of this and it's kind of disturbing that you would post it here.
    Anonymous

• ANon 11:28 Excuse me?! How many poster's kids have said this? How does someone "make too much of this"? This is a place to post questions and concerns. Wondering if there was more to a statement that my toddler made is not disturbing at all. Maybe this is not the right website for you, if you are so opposed to a very reasonably asked question.
    Anonymous

• BE YOUR DAUGHTER'S ADVOCATE AND FIGHT FOR HER! GET THIS INVESTIGATED!!! My dad molested my older sister when she was 6 (I was 3). And he did it again to my youngest sister when she was 12. That was 22 years later. He now sits in prison because of it. But if you don't take this seriously, your daughter could be in serious danger, and possibly someone else's daughter down the road. If it turns out to be nothing...THEN you can sleep easy. But until then, read the sickening statistics of sexual violence against women the world around, and know that you can never take it "too far". If she's acting this way...that's your first clue! And I'll be praying for you and her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2009