Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can you prove child neglect?

I have a family member,she never does anything with her kids,the 3 yr old,can't say momma dada,anything,just moans,she does'nt hardly ever bathe them,the baby 8 months old ,stays in a swing,does'nt even put her in the floor for play,so she does'nt roll over,can't sit up.I have been told that neglect is really herd to prove.She is contsantly telling the 3 yr old,she hates him,he gets on her nerves,this is an all day thing,I have try to help her,but I am at my wits end,because,she want even try,all she does is play on the computer.for breakfast she just feeds him yogurt,and lunch cold spaghettios,does'nt feed himself.Please don't tell me it is none of my business,because ,I would kill over a child,being mistreated.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (11)
  • Just report it to child protective services. They know what to look for. You also need to record everything. What ever you see, or hear. Child neglect is everybody's business.

    Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • It is really hard to prove that , because as soon as she has been reported she is going to change he attitude around those who pose the threat...If there is that big of a threat though i would call CPS anyhow because i wouldn't be able to live with myself if i didn't TRY to do something to help those kids...although i must say that in the mornings now my son gets his own breakfast..sometimes i make oatmeal or pancakes , but most of the time he will just go into the fridge and get fruit and milk, and then he will wake me up...he will be 3 in a month...and i don't play with him as much as i should..but i read to him and rough house with him all the time..GL and ihope you do whats best :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • Thank you for your advice,I already feel guilty,that I have'nt done anything,but the more I do to help,the more she expects,and I am not able to run,and do for them like I used to.I think you ladies are right,all I can do is call CPS,and ask.Thanks again,Please keep these kids in your prayers.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • This is very much your business as it is any of ours.
    Make an anonymous call to CPS tell them what is going on in the household and give them time to make a surprise visit.

    Answer by mommatime78 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • Document everything you see then you will have some ammo when you contact CPS.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • Foster Parent here- Make it Anon. so you can stay in the kids lives. If she finds out it was you, she'll be mad. Do not be pressured to leave your name. Tell CPS when the best time of day to catch her neglecting them is too. Like, say you know during the daytime she always back on the computer and the 3 y/o is running ammuck while the 8 month old is in the swing or being ignored. Maybe it will just be enough of a wake up call for her to get her act together, but if not, at least the kids will be cared for. Plus, they can tell if the kids are delayed (My son was, due to neglect). Also, if the children are removed and you are interested in providing care for them, call Social Services and let them know.

    Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 7:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • I agree with everyone else, but I do want to mention something else. Have you considered that perhaps the mother has a problem, such as depression or bipolar disorder? I ask this b/c I used to suffer from depression, and although I never did the things you describe, I would find myself telling my kids to go play b/c I didn't feel up to it, I would cook meals that were less than healthy just b/c they were fast and easy. I would never say it to them, but while I was feeling that way, I would think to myself that they were getting on my nerves, and it was all the depression. Perhaps she has a problem like that that is contributing to her treating them this way. I'm not saying this excuses her treatment of the kids, but just something to think about and maybe talk to her about, if you think she'll listen to you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • how old is she? if is young that might be why she is like this. what about the father and the grandparnts? its kind of hard to tell u what to do cuz i dont know this person. just be careful on what u decide to do cuz u can either make things better or worst

    Answer by baby-cakes at 8:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2009


    Answer by Caramel824 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

  • This is wrong!

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.