Does she have the right to be angery with me?

My mother and I just got into an argument. She wants to bring a camcorder into the delivery room, and I really don't want her to. I don't mind taking a camera, and taking pictures, but I just really don't want to be filmed while I'm screaming and crying and in tons of pain. She's now angry with me because I don't want her to bring in the recorder! I've told her that she can take the camera and take a million pictures, but I just don't like being filmed, and that goes for anytime, not just then. But she's throwing a fit, saying I'm selfish and that its all about me, and blah blah blah. I don't find it selfish, but I think that if I don't want to be filmed, my wish should be carried out, especially when its something so simple! Do you all think I'm being selfish? What to you think of the whole situation?

TheLaakSmith

Asked by TheLaakSmith at 11:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think she's wrong, but also right.
    She is totally wrong to want to go against your wishes to bring a camcorder in. She is totally right in that it IS all about you. Your birth, your wishes! Stand firm, and don't let her bully you.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• It is all about you - your having a baby! She has no right to be mad and needs to learn how to respect your wishes
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 11:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• First of all, IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU!!!!! This is the birth of your child, and I think it's incredibly selfish of your mother to try to make you feel bad about your decision. She has no reason to be angry with you. I can understand her being a little disappointed, but she should have kept it to herself. Don't let this worry you for one more minute.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Of course she has the right to be angry. She has the right to feel any way she wants. But you have the right to call the shots in the delivery room, and if you don't want the big event captured on video (and I don't blame you one bit), then so be it. Let her be mad and maybe give her some kind of show of compassion if you think it will smooth things over, but stick to your boundaries if it's that important to you. No, it's not all about you... but it most certainly isn't about her. Not one bit.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Haha, I totally agree with the above PPers. It IS all about YOU. UR having a baby and it's YOUR wishes. Stand firm, momma.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 11:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I am going to be a grandmother,for the first time,and I have ask my daughter what she wants me to do,and when,how,because as excited as I am,I will not make her feel uncomfortable .This is you baby,your special moment,you stand your ground,when that baby is born,you all will forget it was ever an issue.Good Luck.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• your the one who is having the baby not her no your not being selffish she is do what you want and if your mother cant respect that then that is her problem not yours and good luck hon
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Guess what? It is all about you! Keep it up and she'll be out of the room altogether b/c when you're in labor, you need all the calm you can get.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• You have the right to have whoever you want in the room, doing whatever you want. Anyone in the room has the right to follow your wishes or leave.

If you want an easy way out, ask the hospital what their policy is. Most ban video cameras. If yours does, you have a simple out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• What kaycee said reminded me of something... The nurses at my hospital told me that they would go along with just about any story I wanted to keep family/friends under control, as long as I ran it by them first. So if I were in your shoes, I could have said that camcorders were banned, and the staff would have all backed me up on it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2009