Swimming?

At what age can you take a baby swiming? I am just cerious. My son should be fine over the summer cuz he is three months now. But I was told I could prolly get a free membership at the y for me and my son for being a low income mom. But idk what the rules are with babies and chlorine and stuff.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 11:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well i don't think the chlorine has much to do with it just so ur baby doesn't get too cold in the water i heard of moms taking there baby's right away they have a instinct to swimming i guess 3 months should be fine just don't let them get to cold
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My DS has had swimming 'lessons' since he was 6 weeks old, He is now 4.5 months.
    ktnmase

Answer by ktnmase at 11:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• umm if your baby is fine in the bath tub, then he should be fine at the pool.
    Maybe just ask your family dr what they think just to be sure :)
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• it is safe to take a child swimming after their first birthday. The risk of ear infections are higher in younger babies. Also with the inability to hold their pee it is aLOT easier to contract an infection if sitting in a pool or lake, ect.. It is different from taking a bath.
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 12:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Possible risk with taking a child too young swimming

hypothermia - too cold
    water intoxication - swallowing too much water
    communicable diseases - including skin infections, pink eye, and most commonly, diarrhea, which kids can get from swallowing contaminated pool water
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 1:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• prolly? cerious? cuz? yikes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• What a load of crap! My daughter has been swimming since she was born, she has never had any ear infections, skin infections or any of that. She's now 5 years old and a very capable swimmer. I can't believe you would wait untill your child is over 1 to let him/her experience swimming.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2009