Did anyone else read the recent essay published in the LA Times and then syndicated across the country written my Jane Goodall?

It was regarding the recent chimp attack in CT. This incident was so horrific and she really seized the opportunity to expose the cruel world of chimpanzees. It made me want to boycott any company that uses chimps to advertise and any movie that has a chimp in it as well.

Apparently, anytime you see a chimp on TV or in ads they are babies. Once they become adults they are unmanageable and unpredictable, but they lack the skills to be released into the wild. Zoos won't even take them because they're not properly socialized. They end up living out their days (which can be up to 50 years!) living in people's homes as this chimp did, or in the circus or in laboratories having painful experiments done to them.

This attack was horrific and my prayers go out to that poor woman, but it is true that chimps are being mistreated everyday!

What do you think? Did you read the essay? Even if not, do you have an opinion on this?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 11:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well OBVIOUSLY child abuse and wife battery are more serious problems. They don't take away the legitimacy of this issue. I don't get your point. Just because children and women are getting abused we can't speak out against animal abuse also? Why can't people just treat all of God's creatures with respect and dignity?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Women are being abused, maimed and or killed everyday due to domestic violence. There are 4x as many animal shelters as there are battered women shelters. Though this was a horrific attack, though I do not agree with trying to domesticate wild animals, I think that spousal abuse and child abuse is far more important matter and far more severe! I do pray for this woman, the woman that owned the chimp is, imo, a complete and utter wacko!! It should never have been allowed! 

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2009