HAS ANYONE USED..

"Your Baby Can Read" ??
I saw an amazing ad for it on the tv last night and I'm really thinking about getting it for my 5 month old.

Has anyone ever used it for their children? Would you really recomend spending 200 dollars for this product??

GA_GiRL0920

Asked by GA_GiRL0920 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• WHY ?? ... I mean go ahead if you can't think of anything else for your tot to do. But a much better investment would be reading books about activities which babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers really NEED to experience so you can develop their personalities, minds ( not intellects ), coordination and interaction with the world.

Playing with water, plants in a lovely backyard, singing & finger-games with mama, are all far more important for development. Reading belongs in the 2nd phase of childhood, after 6 or 7, when the child has accomplished mastering his/her body's movements - have you NOTICED how alarmingly uncoordinated kids are today?? Singing, coloring, seeing the sunlight on the grass, feeling the wind, stirring muffin batter & kneading bread, playdough.

Read books like that, spend your time learning how to enrich your child's soul rather than teaching how to jump through abstract hoops. (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• (cont'd) So what if a baby can say "A" when she sees the letter. What's the point of being able to read - so she can sit and look at picture books alone without mommy reading to her? ... so one can boast about it? I'm not bashing, I just can't see any benefit.

Far better that a baby can say "rose" or "bird" or "water" when she sees THEM, because she has spent time experiencing the world, touching it with her hands and crawling or toddling with interest as her mama takes note of what is catching her attention, and exploring it with her, holding it so she can feel it and talking encouragingly about it.

Sorry - I raised 3 kids & was a pre-school teacher, so I want mothers to get their ideas for what to do with their babies from truly insightful books, not from companies who want to make money and who DON'T have the babies' best interest at heart.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I totally agree with Waldorfmom!!!!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 12:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No I haven't used it and no I wouldn't pay ANY money for a stupid program like that.

It doesn't teach them to read. It teaches them to memorize how a word looks on a stupid flashcard. They don't learn how to sound words out that are unfamiliar to them. They don't learn letter recognition, they don't learn phonics, they don't learn how to sound words out, they don't learn how to blend those sounds to make words, they are NOT LEARNING TO READ. It's simply rote memorization. That's how my mom's generation learned to read...and not a single damn one of them could spell.

Read to your child. Play with your child. Teach your own child.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I sell them through Usborne Books www.ubah.com/u2688 and my son just turned four and can read at better than most 1st graders, writes his entire alphabet in lower and uppercase and is working on phonics. I'm a huge believer in the program. I earned the dvds for free and its more than just a dvd it teaches parents info on how to teach their children too. The thing is if your child is going to watch a show why not one that can help them at such an early age? I wish I had gotten the dvds when my son was an infant! A head start is worth the money! Of course I do read A TON to my son as well, I have bought all of the Usborne flashcards too but all of it together has worked!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• No I would not recommend using that program. That is ALMOST the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
    Anonymous